Audio Note M7 humming/noisy

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwju_NyUztjlAhWPRMAKHW8FAt4QFjACegQIAxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Foldstockaudio.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F05%2F12bh7-listening-test.html&usg=AOvVaw0drTdLTEv--XC1AijGwRaZ

Reviews of 12bh7 tubes.

Ok, the idea there was to see if there was a loop being formed by having too many separate ground paths.
It is unusual (in my experience) for a Kondo amp of any kind to give off hum. Valve noise yes, especially with a sensitive power amp but not usually hum.

I don’t understand why any well designed Amp would be associated with valve noise, let alone a very expensive one ?

When I spoke to Kevin earlier he said hum was likely to be an earth continuity issue within the amp but could be a buggerance to trace.

Looking at it I think the Tango transformer may be a recent replacement as the power cable to it looks very new and the stand offs are just bodges.

How many duff/partially duff/absolutely knackered items have you bought from Emporium over the years?

4 Likes

Certainly in the 80’s & 90’s there seems to have been a tendency towards power amps with low input sensitivity (sometimes 1-2V for full output) and Pre-amps with 20dB gain on their line stages. This was mainly a US thing I think. When used together they were quiet enough. However when CD became popular such high gain was inappropriate and power amp input sensitivities seemed to drop down to perhaps 500-700mV for full output. Any valve line stage with high gain is going to show valve noise attached to such a relatively sensitive power amp even with the volume control at minimum if there was an active stage after the pot.

Pretty much every fucking one of them.

2 Likes

It is amazing the power of alcohol when internet purchasing. I once bought 3 copies of an LP by The Heads from three different vendors on the same night. The shipping charges to Melbourne were :scream::scream:

5 Likes

If that white cable is mains it’s not ideal to have it routed where it is right under the wiring to the input selector switch and the signal wiring coming back from the attenuator to the line stage. I’d be surprised if that was how it left the factory.

Man no learn.

Yep think it’s mains and new, pretty sure it goes from the fuse to the transformer.

Would a screened power cable be a better thing in there?

Not keen on changing anything so may give Nick a call tomorrow and return it :frowning:

1 Like

Sober Man learn, once drunk forget.

2 Likes

EC rules: just send it back if you haven’t had it long (14 days).
Distance Selling regulations (now called some consumer contact name). Sure you are well aware.

Vaguely but Kevin reminded me that option was available.

Just a bit annoying as I’ve been after an M7 for ages. I’m sure it could be fixed but the hours to reverse engineer what’s been changed and then fix is probably going to be £500 - £1000 (if not more if it’s been really changed)

It’s been fucked up, send it back and stop bleating

4 Likes

It’s the right of any abattoirist to bleat and moan so get fucked you pink trouser wearing fannybollocking spunk monkey.

4 Likes

Reminder on law is any internet purchase can be returned within 14 days, no questions, as long as it’s “as new” and packaging intact etc.
So it’s a right to return rather than a courtesy to let you.

I doubt that it would.
there was no real earthing of any description on mine.
The earth point on the back wasn’t really linked to anything, although a Phono M7 might be a different, they are rare beats
I got Pete to do a proper mains earth path on mine
Could easily have had a live case

Just quote LDSR regs

First of all, can you take a pic of the back panel from the outside, a better pic of the mains wiring where it comes inside & then a pic from slightly further away of the complete underside so we can see if there’s a better route for the mains cable to get to the on/off switch. There doesn’t look to be much else wrong with it. Also, if the external mains lead is 3 core, does the earth wire get attached to the chassis? I was wondering if a new power transformer has been fitted to convert from Japanese (100V) to 230V.

2 Likes