Audio Note M7 humming/noisy

resistors I think

The big can with writing on is a 4uF capacitor, from the size I assume it’s oil filled?

Yes, they’ll likely have been trying to preserve the rectifier.

If it uses a circuit like the one Pete linked to but with an E80CC it is still going to be pretty high gain on that line stage.

Yes:

1 Like

Guess my question is has this been taken away from the design so much that it is no longer an M7.

It sounds fantastic but I don’t want to have a shit show when I (inevitably) sell it.

Not really sure what an M7 is, there were so many variants. (at least 6 I know of including this one). The neat trick is that they share the character.

Cathode follower. No gain!

Doesn’t the gain come from the first part?

1 Like

Oh, sorry, yes. Was looking at the last device.

I guess E80CC is at least lower than a 6072. But yeah, still excessive.

Needs output transformers rather than a CF! Lose some gain that way as in M10/L300 :grinning:

Yeah, but more expensive.

1 Like

12BH7 would get it lower provided the values of anode & cathode resistors are suitable.

I guess you need to check first that the E80CC are the quietest of samples.

I suspect the 12BH7 might have been what was in it originally.

Maybe but I don’t think they are as tall & the wire clips seem to match the height of the E80CC.

I always thought they were quite tall, but yeah, perhaps not as tall as the E80CC. The clips are easy to change, just a bit of copper wire soldered to tags.

GE 12BH7 is 67mm tall and the E80CC I have is 80mm

Have you got any 12BH7?

How quiet is this pre when volume is at minimum?

Nope haven’t got any 12BH7s

With the volume at min I can clearly hear a hum and hiss from 12 ft away, similar sort of volume to when you are standing near power lines in fog/mist.

The hum is constant but the hiss only increases when I get up to around 1/2 way on the volume.

Turn one of the power amps off & pull the interconnect to it out of the back of the M7. Does the other speaker now still have hum?

Yes

And same result if I do the same with the other amp.