Bakewell - it’s all about the icing. And the jam

Ladies (?) and Gentlemen (?) we have a winner !

Close the internet.

1 Like

It’s on tap down there, they’ll be bathing in it next!

2 Likes

Wait. Only 182 posts? Hahahaahahahahahaha! Don’t be daft.

http://i.imgur.com/RDJyVOM.jpg

5 Likes

Thick double cream

Was most excellent

tumblr_o50h1o7UYq1rn7bzro1_400

3 Likes

If it was iced there would be no need for any additional accoutrements.

The aforementioned pudding is therefore lacking M’lud.

The prosecution rests.

1 Like

I think that ice is mainly a feature of small tarts as a cheap way to avoid pastry clag. I’m not against in that situation and in this case I think you shouldn’t let previous chocolatey disagreements colour your opinions. That is a royal looking Bakewell right there. :+1:

This “clag” of which you speak, seems to be a recent buzzword and catch all. It means different things to different people. Soundstage in hifi parlance if I may.

Guy presents good pudding, of that there is no dispute. A pudding may have heritage and the iced tart may be a relative newcomer, but that does not give the pudding automatic preference.

A tart will keep the frangipany goodness sandwiched between the jam and the ice and thus distinct layers of enjoyment. See stratification.

A pudding seems to be a free for all with the only distinct layer being the jam.

If I may interject,there is room for both in my world

3 Likes

Interjecting to sit on the fence? Meh!

2 Likes

The first time I’d tried to make one of these & the taste was really good. The spongy topping had the zest of a lemon in it which gives enough tanginess to avoid it being too rich or cloying. I did add a couple of drops of almond essence which possibly helped along with the ground almonds that were in it. Icing would’ve just been wrong here, much too sweet for it. The jam was raspberry. Lidl do a ridiculously good jam (Maribel) which stands comparison with some really serious home made jams. Try it.

This was the recipe.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/the-champion-bakewell-tart/

Recommended.

4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

If it was iced, it would be rong. Bakewell tart is as much about the texture as the taste, and the relationship between the flaked almonds and crusty top is the finest detail of the thing. The essence of the matter, so to speak. Bung a load of icing on it, and it is rendered invalid.

2 Likes

Shit :grimacing:

Well Kipling never knew what he was talking about anyway.

Oh, I don’t know

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.

3 Likes

I might have a go at this today if I can find a tart tin at Tesco. Scorchio!