BBQing Diary

Done beef rib that way and the results were unsatisfactory for us. Either too well done or too raw and we needed to leave it in for longer when all the veg/spuds were ready. I like rare beef but raw is only good for Tartar :wink: I also like a decent bark.

I think, with experience of rotisseries in Oz (when catering for groups, lamb on the spit is preferable to hog roasts), lamb (on the bone) is a little more flexible than beef. You can take it off sooner as during resting it seems to continue to cook (or, at least, it rests to the correct level*).

*Maybe this is the experience thing kicking in.

I reckon it is easier with a digital probe thermometer. When I’ve done it with beef it’s been excellent.

I use a digital probe but I guess beef is where I need to focus more attention.

I’m going to invite some local friends around for Sunday lunch soon and plan to do beef rib in the smoker. I need to work up to it though. I don’t want to ruin an expensive joint. :scream: I’d like to try a Jacobs Ladder too which I’m sure will be more forgiving.

That needs briquettes. I don’t use them. Too sterile. You might as well bung it in the oven.

Oh, hang on. I’m thinking about the Snake Method :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’m talking about Jacobs Ladder, the un-cut rack of beef short rib. I think they can be very good smoked. Finding a butcher around here that will do it though is bloody difficult. Outside of the bog standard cuts everything is a struggle. I asked the butcher across from us for lamb shank once, he looked at me as if I was mental and then gave me a lecture on the amount of work involved for something nobody wanted and that most customers who order that sort of stuff aren’t loyal and that he couldn’t be doing with it or them. Yes, really! He really is a terrible cunt.

2 Likes

Gas oven?

2 Likes

Indeed.

Try a Back Rib. More meat and less marbling.
Again, it depends if your butcher is any good.

1 Like

Has anyone here got involved in coca cola marinating of Beef? As repugnant as I find the notion a Braai Master in Cape Town did it for me once (He added mustard and black pepper to the marinade overnight) It was quite remarkable really.

I had that in Jo’Burg back in '04. Very nice it was too.

When I used to do stagehand work at the Oxford Playhouse we used to tip a can of Coke into a 2 gallon bucket of water and use the result to strip the shine off a varnished stage floor when we had dance troupes in. As a general-purpose corrosive it’s quite good. I imagine it would open up any sealing on the surface of raw meat quite well.

VB

It can also be used neat to remove oil from block paving.

I cooked a gammon ham in coke a few times before. Not bad, a bit sweet

Ginger beer is good for gammon as well.

if you like it - louise is partial but thinks most are way too sweet. Me I don’t like it, never tasted one which made we want to have more than a mouthful - odd as I really like ginger in all its forms…

Pineapple is a thing

1 Like

Mine aren’t over sweet. And I always make sure they have a huge hit of ginger.

Agreed. The last time I drank two bottles of beer it was @MGOwner’s extra-Gingery Ginger Beer. It was jolly good too. He won’t make me more and deliver here to Liverpool. I can’t understand why…It isn’t like it would be inconvenient for him.
:man_red_haired: ← Token Ginger emojiis-> :woman_red_haired:

2 Likes