BBQing Diary

A problem for @Jim, too.

4 Likes

Having another go at the snake today. 2 trays of hot water, Weber briquettes, couple of lumps of mesquite…
A rack of ribs that have been sitting in a home made rub all night went in an hour ago. Temp’ now stable, even if it’s probably not the most accurate way of measuring it…
:pray:t5:

At least the temperature of the metal lid will be accurate.

2 Likes

Two hours in and looks ok! I’m using @thebiglebowski 's method and they are now foil wrapped in Apple juice and cider vinegar for the next two. Two pans of water really makes a difference, proper steamy.

2 Likes

Those ribs are fhuge!

Haha! No, I think it’s because it’s a mid-sized Weber. Funnily enough, I went to B&Q earlier for more fuel and saw the big Webers in there and was shocked at how huge they are. Thinking about getting another, or maybe a smoker…

I usually St Louis cut the ribs, cooks a bit quicker. As long as you are close enough with the temp it doesn’t matter much, just get them to the texture you like. I use a thermapen to check the internal temp, get it to 190f ish, hold it there a while, cover in bbq sauce and finish over high heat :smiley:

My BBQ bin is a bit past it, one of these for me next : http://bigpoppasmokers.co.uk/

1 Like

That looks like good value.

I’ve been looking at ProQ
https://www.worldofpower.co.uk/proq-frontier-elite-charcoal-smoker-barbecue.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwquTbBRCSARIsADzW88zZq_Jqk70gi6P1RjqcxACAhh-7b526MGAp-d-XcG8SVYp2bDz55F8aAhV-EALw_wcB

How I cook a few racks in the BBQ Bin.

3 Likes

Wow!!

It really was a Bin. I’m sure I did ribs for a bake off at some point.

2 Likes

I’m no BBQ er but I’m ready and all has been taken in. On it.

1 Like

I have a ProQ smoker and can recommend them. Perhaps not as nicely built as the Weber stuff but a lot cheaper. I think mine is a Frontier but perhaps not the Elite one. Was about £180 IIRC.
It’s nice that you can use as many or as few tiers as you need. Actually, this talk of smoked comestibles has reminded me that I need to get it out. Don’t think I’ve used it this summer.

1 Like

So, better than last week’s and they had an epic smokey flavour. Still not satisfied with the texture though, still slightly too tough. I think I have to get a proper thermometer sorted. The family were complaining they were too spicy… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Jerk chicken, Rice and peas, Caribbean style salad wot I made up out of my head.

I’m really liking Little Gem lettuces cut in half lengthways, the cut faces then smeared with oil and whacked on the Barbie for a couple of minutes. :ok_hand:

9 Likes

scorched gem lettuce is a lovely thing - very hipster ATM

Is it? Kerri started me off doing it. She does a salad that has griddled Little Gem and Halloumi, I think from a Leon recipe book. We then started to do it in other things and my recent bbq thing has led me to try it there. I’ve messed it up a couple of times, its easy to over do it and it just wilts. Get it right though and it remains crisp but gets a lovely sweet, smokey flavour. :heart_eyes: I’ve been meaning to try hearts of romaine…

Kos :roll_eyes:

1 Like

You banging on about your bloody holidays again? :angry:

2 Likes