Beatles “Now and Then “ single

Bee Gees, Stones, ELO, Supertramp?

1 Like

The one that springs to mind for is Talk Talk; Six years, two months between The Party’s Over and Spirit of Eden.

1 Like

The man is a buffoon. The stooges I wanna be your dog was released in 69 (same year as Woodstock)

The one that gets me is the short gap between the Beatles 1st single (62)

and this

4 years later… as artistic trajectory goes, this is in another league.

2 Likes
1 Like

Agreed - the Beatles were right in the eye of the trip in 66, Tibetan book of the dead etc etc. Culturally, musically, philosophically, artistically they leapt forwards not in a rip off cash in pastiche (I believe them to have been sincere) but close to the forefront armed with the talent to realize it ; seekers if you like, both internally and externally in terms of fashion and recording.

I can’t name an artist or band that achieved this so significantly. I’m not even a Beatles Fan Boi, nor would I suggest they were the first to any ‘scene’, I would however argue when they turned their hand to it, they were obese with talent to the point if they had not existed subsequent ‘youthquakes’ may not have either. Eg: They carved a furrow for the British invasion which otherwise might have been a long weekend.

What about the Stones? Whilst they were probably better performers (They had to be Mick is Flat) they only moved from covers band to hedonistic rockers - What did they do that was genuinely innovative other than marketing & growing their hair ?

A fuck ton of personal opinion, (Mildly supported by record sales.)

All told, the Beatles have sold 1.6 BILLION singles in the United States, and 177 million albums.

Worldwide album sales top 600 million.

The number of Beatles singles to reach Number 1 on the “Billboard Hot 100” is 21, the most of any band. To this day.

9 Likes

Were there others, besides the Yardbirds & Kinks who were experimenting with ‘Raga rock’ at that time?

Eastern infusions were happening all over the place in folk, but particularly Jazz much earlier than 66 accompanied by mysticism and spirituality. Cross pollination to pop rock was in many ways inevitable (Musicians are show offs by nature). Curiously in terms of Pop the Beatles Norwegian Wood features a sitar released in 65 which is early.

1 Like
1 Like

They seem to retain a certain balance with their ass burn which is commendable in comparison to todays egos.

1 Like

As one YouTube comments wag put it . . .

Beatles 63 - She loves you yeah yeah yeah

Beatles 66 - SURRENDER TO THE VOID

4 Likes
1 Like

I’m waiting for the album…

3 Likes

Currently taking a rest stop on one of my Saturday death marches.
Just finished listening to the Red compilation and starting into Blue.

Only thought is totally overrated.

I did not feel slightly teary eyed or wistful, because again, they’re so utterly shit :roll_eyes:

1 Like