Best 5 films of the year

For me:
Midsommar
Once Upon a time in Hollywood
Knives Out
Apollo 11
Alita Battle Angel

It’s been a good year, in many ways. Spiderman Far From Home was also great, as was Fast and Furious, the Almodovar and Avengers. And John Wick. Cold Pursuit was fucking funny too. O even enjoyed the Aladdin reboot.

The new Star Wars movie is the bestest ever. There is no scent of shit from it at all. I’ll bet @Wayward will love it :lying_face::lying_face:

:poop:

1 Like

To be fair I enjoyed it, but it was not even in the top 10

Might not even be top 20 tbh

I’ve only seen one film this year so I’ll nominate that

1 Like

I haven’t been to a cinema since taking my two nieces to see Monsters Inc in 2001.

1 Like

I’ll nominate the only 2019 film that I’ve seen this year, although I suspect it would make the top 5 of ‘films I have seen in the last decade’

2 Likes

I moved to a place where going to the movies isn’t really an option. It involves expensive baby sitting and there aren’t many options for that. Next year the children will probably be old enough. For the time being a top five would be impossible but I did see Once Apon A Time In Hollywood on a plane and enjoyed it. :+1:
The fucking Star Wars thing will probably happen over the holiday. :roll_eyes:

That sounds familiar :wink:

Only because of the kids, I’m not quite at your levels of isolation. :grin:

1 Like

Robinson fucking Crusoe might balk at living here :grinning:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any films this year.
as for the Star Wars thing I saw Rogue One for the first time on telly last week - does that count?

Once upon a time in Hollywood just beaten into second place by The Joker.

That’s a close call for me, actually. Loved both, but such completely different films. I didn’t “enjoy” Joker as much as I did the Tarantino film, but I was probably more riveted by it.

How much time do you have?

Find barn.
Convert to Cinema.
Install WE horn system.
Show films.
The Shetlanders will come in their droves.

5 Likes

Find barn.

Quite possibly the easiest part

Convert to Cinema.

Hmm, ok I suppose that’s reasonably possible too

Install WE horn system.

Ah. There lies the problem £££££

Show films.

Fairly straightforward (unlicensed, obvs)

The Shetlanders will come in their droves.

Haha, Fetlar population is currently 59 - so the WE £££££ makes it a pretty long term investment

Don’t suppose you know of a Mirrorphonic system going cheap anywhere? :grinning:

You would have to get two, because the other one would be in your hifi barn playing that Maria Callas album on repeat!

2 Likes

My younger brother helps run a film club in Portishead where they show stuff that the locals may have missed. I don’t think the cost of the rights to show such things is that actually that prohibitive.

A WE sound system maybe a bit pricy but you could do a decent job with vintage Altecs or JBLs.

You might want your barn to be on Yell or at the top of mainland to get the most punters in.

Posh cinema complex on Mainland (Lerwick) which is easily accessible from Yell.

Unst would be a better option, though it only has a population of circa 700.

Non starter really, but would be a lovely thing to do.