Best way to get digital to my dac

So currently I use a Sonos Port to send my digital signal to my dac. I like it because I can use my phone to control it and little fuss. When they decide the Port is obsolete I don’t mind paying the same for the next version.

But what worries me is the quality of sound. Is this screwing with my sound before it hits the DAC or is it all 0’s and 1’s?

So long as you’ve set it to be a constant volume then it’s demonstrably bit-perfect.

1 Like

They’re could be timing issues between the streamer and DAC. Most modern DACs are fine with this, some quirky ones might not be.

1 Like

Don’t disappear down the rabbit hole of reading comparisons between streamers, like I did. Try some and you will see the difference/or not.

I started with a Sonos connect, digital coax to my DAC. Compared (tediously, at length) against a MacBook running Roon, Rpi with Allo Kali and finally Allo Digione Signature. A surprisingly nice improvement each time.

Returning back to the Sonos it just sounded ‘muffled’ and a bit flat, which was a shame as the app is great.

I would expect the Sonos Port to be better than the Connect (reviews seem to suggest that) so I would borrow/lend streamers from dealers/friends to make sure you get the upgrade you are looking for.

Darko has a good ‘league table’ for digital sources, which is pretty spot on.

This will probably be my next upgrade, Auralic top of the shortlist.

1 Like

The digione signature, how are you powering it?
And which software did you go with?

Use the cheapo power supply for the ‘dirty side’ powering the pi, and rechargeable batteries for the clean side, which is said to be one of the best ways. I’m a bit tight and lazy, but using better LPS for the clean side is said to be worthwhile.
Software wise I prefer Roon, streets ahead of Volumio etc, but not free. The digione becomes an endpoint like your Sonos, I have Sonos speakers that are seen by Roon also, so integrates nicely.

The digione is more of a faff to set up than Sonos or Auralic etc, as you are utilising a Rpi, but once done has been rock solid for me.

Interesting, will do some research