Big, highly sensitive vintage speakers - oh and cheap

Pair of Urei 813s for £1300 like these? Too much?

3 Likes

Do-able.

1 Like

Unless they are putting crystal meth in the beer no Kiki Dee conversions are likely. Neither is a playing of the infamous Guilt Machine LP on grounds that you couldn’t hoof sufficient drugs and/or find several weeks to play it in its hideous entirety.

:unamused:

2 Likes

Goodmans Axiom 201 in any sized cab built into a wall or cabinet…

Around 96dB/16Ohms, may need a small tweeter on top but would be fine for background music eithout

The newer Fane 12-250TC looks good although I’ve no experience

I reckon that you could get Eminence 15" for £100, must be able to get some half decent 2" compression drivers for £250, albeit JBLs might be a bit of a reach.

If there is someone with woodwork skills that would be cheap. You could probably scrounge crossover components on here (or trade for beer).

So it’s stretching the budget, but it’s making something interesting rather than a shitty old PA speaker. Depends what they’re trying to achieve.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re offering to build it for them. Well done.

3 Likes

Maybe a stretch but a battered pair of KEF 104/2s for around that budget? Very sensitive, easy to drive for valve amps and will go loud without strain.

I’m surprised you see me in that description

1 Like

92dB @ 1m, for 2.83V RMS. But they’re 4ohms so that’s 2W, so they’re really only 89dB/W. You’re right though, they’ll take 200W and will go loud.

VB

I don’t. I just see the potential comedy value!

1 Like

I think that just the wood for some DIY floorstanders would eat up too much of the budget.

Perhaps another Idea is the speakers with a preamp?

1 Like

As per Hoops reply above my 201s could be made available and in your price bracket. These are Hoops 's old pair and have been well looked after since I bought them from him.
PM me if you want to know more

2 Likes

If you’re looking for sensitive then Wharfedales will give you that and some of them also have quite a flamboyant look. The big E-series ones are probably too pricey and the small E’s too, er, small. They were followed by the Vanguard and the Ventana which don’t seem to be so fashionable. This pair of Ventanas https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-Ventana-Speakers/323917234202 may need re-foaming but are otherwise quite cheap for 8ohms, 95dB/W and 150W capability. But they could be on the small side. The Vanguards were the same sensitivity I believe but bigger.

EDIT: These have flashing lights :grin: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-CD-70-2-speakers/333328831661 and claim 94dB/W.

VB

1 Like

Yes I’m watching those. The lights aren’t connected but they do have castors for wheeling around which might be helpful.

Like them! Obviously the sound will improve if you re-connect the lights…

3 Likes

There’s a shiny pair for eight times as much https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-Mach-7-70-2-Hi-Fi-Speakers-In-Exceptional-Condition-With-A1-Grills/153624956467.

VB

1 Like

Easy load and sensitive.

1 Like

A mate of mine has a pair of those, I’ve not listened to them in any way critically - they are on the floor in his garage, where there is also a beer fridge and a pool table. My impressions are though that they rock, I have no idea what they are like at low volume. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ll get a better idea when I get chance to chat with Alex and Seb later this week as to how important the sound is and how important the visuals are to them. Obviously if you want both that pushes up the cost and I doubt they’re looking to invest much at this stage.