Billie Jean

Still think Human Nature was the best song on that album.

1 Like

Jacko remains a difficult character to reconcile with his music. But Thriller has some truly sublime moments of musical genius, driven by Jackson and added to by Quincy Jones and the raft of talent he had at his disposal.

Agree with @browellm the Guardian list is pretty good and the line of reasoning behind selections is a good read too.

Surprised Bohemian rhapsody is so far down

You can argue with the music but I have no doubts at all he was a paedophile.

I have seen the reality of what that means, and I have now a real conflict when I hear his music.
As art, it is about as good as it gets in places. As the legacy of an abuser it is tainted almost beyond redemption. I feel guilty listening to it.

3 Likes

Orwell grapples with this quite thoughtfully here, although in Dali’s case he thinks the art is often disgusting too.

… One ought to be able to hold in one’s head simultaneously the two facts that Dali is a good draughtsman and a disgusting human being. The one does not invalidate or, in a sense, affect the other. The first thing that we demand of a wall is that it shall stand up. If it stands up, it is a good wall, and the question of what purpose it serves is separable from that. And yet even the best wall in the world deserves to be pulled down if it surrounds a concentration camp …

VB

5 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=441mR2zsQbg

3 Likes

What a bloody wonderful writer, even when snorting down his nose somewhat.

Has also inspired me to purchase Harry Graham’s “Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes”, as much for Ridgewell’s illustrations as anything…

1 Like

That tune only got to No.2

I have to agree with this. I try to go with ‘trust the art and not the artist’ but sometimes the failings of the artist are so egregious as to render the art meaningless/unlistenable for me. Dali is a very good example from the art world, every bit as unsettling as Gary Glitter or Michael Jackson.