Bitcoin / other crapto trading

I’ll come back and add some much needed glamour to the watch thread.

2 Likes

Alt coins are very boom and bust. Coinbase pro should let you day trade a bit.

Yet again, only the wins and never the losses :yawning_face:

3 Likes

Gamblers never lose, I don’t know how the bookies stay in business.

5 Likes

Funny thread this. I haven’t and wouldn’t touch Bitcoin. I am happy to accumulate at a more moderate pace without the risks involved. To me the main issue would be the quite obvious lack of liquidity. I might want to know what the return per unit risk was, accounting for the illiquidity before I got involved (this is not trivial to sort out). I’m happy to buy and hold and not accrue trading costs and brokerage fees in the meantime.

1 Like

My idea is to buy. Sit and wait( at least) six months (or until % increase that works for me) and sell.

Not trade by the week.

I’m not even sure of fees but won’t dip in unless there are 50% plus swings.

If I recovered my stake i would leave the rest and come back next year.

Good for you.

I think that fits with your slow accumulation and sit tight post.
But I didn’t get it when your opening sentence was you won’t touch bitcoin.
Guess the rest was for other crypto?

If it was that easy everyone would be doing it

That’s what people say when it’s too late.

Most of the good stuff is easy. It’s just you don’t know it!

It is too late! You’ve missed the crypto train by 10-15yrs

1 Like

Meh. Meanwhile:

See you in two and a half hours

1 Like

My horizon is years rather than months, in the case of one of my more major investments I haven’t considered doing anything to change it since 2005. There is too much volatility in the data for me to be interested. Six months is not a buy and hold horizon in my house. My comments really pertain to Bitcoin as I know very little about the other markets/contracts/platforms at all (and wouldn’t go there until I knew the ins and outs - particularly the outs TBH). It might be interesting to try and trade the volatility, but that is going to be expensive and a very short-term thing. It is not for me so I’ll leave it at that.

2 Likes

indeed I know enough about block chain from some of my colleagues to understand how vulnerable the platforms are, how the ledger can disappear overnight.

I know 5 people who have (had) bitcoin holdings. One person made some money from mining in had early days, one lost everything when the ledger disappeared, one who is holding alot of money in bitcoin but can afford for the holding to disappear overnight without worrying. The person holding was very clever, prof of cybersec and crypto who worked for GCHQ, and knew exactly how the markets and systems worked - he still took a calculated risk. He has now retired, works as a consultant.

Cashing put can be tricky in a totally unregulated industry, with crazy commisions, organisations operating on the edge of the law.

2 Likes

Sod the Bitcoin …what truck stop is that …

1 Like

Coinbase isn’t bad. 2-3 years ago it was hard work. (I bought stuff from Cex because they took Bitcoin then).

depends who is holding the ledger.

Well, when I dabbled, I did. I used coinbase to cash out. Transferred to them and into my PayPal in 15 mins.

But as for them holding the ledger they are now one of the safer bets. (Still iffy)

I only messed about with tiny amounts. I mined/purchased about £75 in 2017, I’ve had about £1200 out of that.

I’m all cashed out now. I wouldn’t be putting any money in now but what do I know. Nowt.

You can always use something like etoro for CFD nonsense on Bitcoin as well.

This is the best Bitcoin analogy.

16 Likes