Bootlegs, fakes and shysters

Interesting article. I don’t buy much vinyl, and it’s often stuff that isn’t popular enough to be worth cloning. Certainly had a fake CD once (CDr with one track that didn’t play).

1 Like

It’s a weird one each music scene has slightly differing boot requirements. The Northern Soul scene has had boots for years (Tons of them) based on many of the titles unobtainium status this is understandable. The same in many ways for Reggae. The AOR guys however get completest and include live performances - the TMOQ boots are valuable in their own right (And championed as boots, people knowingly seek them out) The big pop titles and colour pressings are just straight up passing off exploitation. Some completists go for them knowingly but for the vast majority it’s about mugging off fans.
Sometimes I get caught out - This week I was selling a northern 45 that looked pretty right, felt right etc. thank fully a chap pointed out the stamp (Very difficult to forge) was wrong as it was misaligned and was probably done in the 70’s. Every day’s a school day.

3 Likes

Ummm, just 2 posts up…

3 Likes

Oooops!

3 Likes