Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

Reducing the amount of Bull from the brexit side?

1 Like

If the DUP support it, you know that it is wrong.

No idea how it is possible to not have an Customs Union without a hard border in NI. Stupidly high stakes poker here.Unless there is some mad fudge (‘Customs Agreement’ rather than ‘Customs Union’ anyone?) it seems like we are painted into a corner. No matter what the outcome, anyone care to bet against a DUP veto at the end of it all?

Since when have the DUP ever given a shit about such a thing. As far as they’re concerned they’d prefer a return to the bad old days with plenty of army roaming the border fields and look-out posts every 500yds.

This. Actually they are saying that they want no hard border, but their actions suggest that they are after the opposite.

In other news, No 19 have provide this clarification:

The government’s position was set out in August in a future partnership paper on the customs union (pdf). We will be leaving the EU and the customs union and it is not government policy to be members of the customs union or a customs union. That paper in August set out two possible options and they are a highly-streamlined customs arrangement and a new customs partnership with the EU.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Unfortunately the starry eyed Corbynistas genuinely believe they can tax “evil” corporations dry to pay for whatever they fancy. Any sense on Brexit is lost, as the financial pressures are deemed irrelevant when you can just keep on borrowing and taxing forever.

In short, one way or another Corbyn has fucked this country every bit as hard as the Tories.

Agreed which is why I wrote:

1 Like

I would just like the government to provide the evidence that shows that their choice of how to implement Brexit is the best one for the country. The vote didn’t indicate anything about how we would leave - such as whether to stay in customs union - so it seems to me that the responsible approach for government is to do some impact assessments and the like to find the most advantageous way to leave the EU. Is that too much to ask?

3 Likes

Yes.

:slightly_smiling_face:

In reality the whole Brexit debate has ceased to be about economic policy. This should be obvious from the logical inconsistency behind the Leave camp’s arguments. In effect, their view is that leaving the EU opens us up to the benefits of Free Trade (this in itself is a problematic argument as virtually all the theory driving these arguments ignores the cost of transition in favour of an exercise of comparative statics). Now imagine we do leave the EU and do not have a treaty on customs (e.g. we move to WTO rules) then we could need to impose a series of tariffs and/or quotas on our imports and would face the same being imposed on our exports. In short, in leaving to EU to chase Free Trade we would, almost inevitably move to a more protected trading environment.

The remain camp are almost as confused at present as their approach fails to acknowledge the economic and social consequences of the last 40-odd years of policy which have brought us to this point.

There is a decent survey article on the FT here:

Unfortunately it is behind a paywall, but a google search usually will turn up the article in full.

Retarded if you believe Labour voting through and cheering on this destructive mess isn’t as bad as doing it yourself. And I do mean actually retarded.

causation
kɔːˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
noun: causation

the action of causing something.
"the postulated role of nitrate in the causation of cancer"
    the relationship between cause and effect; causality.
    plural noun: causations
    "a strong association is not a proof of causation"

… Conservative MEP Daniel Hannan said Switzerland was an example of a country which had both its own customs arrangements with the EU and an independent trade policy …

Yes. I know about this first hand as I once had to (sort of) export something costing >£500k to Switzerland. They have a hard border Daniel. With border posts which look like this

And Switzerland is in the Schengen area which makes at least some things easier in their case.

VB

Yep, having been involved in the VAT side of importing of a pipe organ from Switzerland (long story) it was anything but seamless.

I didn’t realise pipe organs have seams?

gets coat

1 Like

Actually they do.

http://ruffatti.com/en/how-we-build-our-organs/materials/leather/

So it seams

1 Like

Here we go…

Yep.

Oh God. Not a load of pin-puns in this thread. Tailor-made for trouble…

1 Like

Yours is definitely a cut above