Brexit - Creating a Cuntocracy - Now with 4d chess option

At the height of their majorities either Thatcher or Blair would have got the deal they wanted through parliament, in Thatcher’s case by bullying/yelling NO and in Blair’s by schmoozing/lying. Since, in my opinion, almost any deal would be better than No Deal I should vote for one of them. If May’s deal becomes No Deal, as well it might, then the ERG will be as pleased as punch and they would have been best advised to vote for her, or for Gordon Brown who would have screwed up at least as badly. ‘Better’ depends on what outcome you want.

VB

My dog could negotiate a better deal and he is easily bribed with food.

May’s table

Corbyn’s table

Cable’s table

Just noticed that the Lib Dumbs have declared that they will no longer support Corbyn’s NC motions unless Labour back a People’s Vote. Mince Cable said:

Since he appears to be determined to play party political games rather than acting on the wishes of his own members and MPs, he will no longer be able to rely on our support for further no-confidence motions.

I believe other parties are taking the same view. It’s time Mr Corbyn got off the fence and made his position plain.

That’ll certainly help things along.

1 Like

Vince will always prop up the Tories when the chips are down.

2 Likes

Libdems have been consistent, although this is easier when you only have a couple of MPs.

I read that 60% of Labour constituencies voted Leave, 75% of Conservatives. To fight a General Election on a remain ticket would be interesting.

Who do you think out of these PMs would have got us a better deal than May’s?

• 80%Thatcher

• 10%Blair

• 10%Major

• 0%Brown

• 0%Cameron

10voters

Ha ha ha fucking ha.
The proper answer is none of them.

Shouldhavevotedstronzetto

1 Like

https://newsthump.com/2019/01/17/theresa-may-tries-to-sway-jeremy-corbyn-with-enormous-jar-of-homemade-jam/

How the fuck does she think this is going to change his mind?

Under Article 50 of The Treaty on European Union and the Withdrawal Act 2018, we will leave the EU without a deal on 29 March unless Parliament either agrees a deal with the EU or the UK revokes article 50 and chooses to stay in the EU permanently.

I’m afraid, like it or not, she is mathematically correct on this*. When Jeremy Corbyn demands that she rule out a No Deal he is demanding that she choose one or other of these two options. I wonder which it is ?

VB

*Strictly speaking she could seek an extension to article 50, which changes the date but nothing else and so, from a choice point of view, makes no difference.

I thought the EU said they would only agree to an extension for a GE or referendum but certainly not to renegotiate the deal.

1 Like

That wouldn’t stop her seeking it. It might stop them granting it. The point I was making was that in addition to the two main options (Deal or Remain) there was a third (Extend) but it wasn’t really a different option. You’re saying it might not even be possible. So we can both agree to forget it.

VB

it’s true, I just looked in the mirror - and I’m a scruffy bastard.

1 Like

"PS Jeremy, I have shaved my legs and called Pizza Hut for our night in

T x
"

Any they don’t have FoM, mainly because Germany don’t want to let them have it

I would have thought that a major change to her red lines might get an extension - so if she was suddenly amenable to a customs union, say, then that would lead to a very different outcome. Not that she would be, though.

1 Like

Yes, but not about the same things. The EU-Turkey CU mostly covers ‘industrial goods’. So Turkey can sell industrial goods into the EU without tariffs or other restrictions. But it can’t strike trade deals with the rest of the world involving industrial goods. That CU doesn’t cover agricultural products, coal and steel, public procurement. So the Turks can cut whatever deal they like, with whoever they like for steel. But if they sell steel to the EU they’re subject to the same tariffs as everyone else outside the EU.

So the UK would have to decide which sectors it wanted to be inside a full EU CU (presumably machinery, cars and trucks, aerospace stuff, agricultural products including fish and livestock, pharmaceuticals and other healthcare products, petrochemicals including oil, gems and precious metals, Scotch whisky etc) and which sectors it would prefer to trade freely with the rest of the world, thereby making the country as fabulously rich as David Davis has promised (shortbread, garden gnomes, top hats, fridge magnets of Anne Hathaway’s cottage and Stonehenge etc).

Brutal “it’s in or it’s out” truth here.

VB

1 Like

PV timelines now being openly thrown around. The gov came up with a year to organise. I hadn’t realised they’d asked David Davis to do it.

Chris Grayling reckoned we could organise it for Thursday week.

VB

1 Like