Brexit episode 2 - the attack of the gammon

Possibly. On the other hand though, if Kent becomes a lorry park and the price of basic foodstuff rockets and the availability of produce/medicines declines in the medium-term then Brexit is hardly the issue.

It’ll be interesting to see how the pro-Brexit press explains all this away.

Their paymasters will provide the narrative, as usual.

What about toilet roll, if EU trucks just stop coming to the UK on 1st Jan? I thought the reason people were panic buying early on in the pandemic was that UK bog roll stocks wouldn’t last long if the supply chain was disrupted?

You only need bog roll if there’s something going in the top end - blocking 40% of food (current import level) should reduce the demand.

7 Likes

Interesting thread about the state of UK food supply in the early 70’s before we joined the then EEC.

I recall bread & sugar shortages but it hadn’t occurred to me that prior to that we were dependent on cheap supplies of grain & sugar from the former colonies ie Canada & the Carribean & once those suppliers started to seek better prices elsewhere we were a bit stuffed. Heath Thatcher & others could see good reasons to join & stay in.

2 Likes

Thatcher was a cunt but she’d 100% be bitch slapping BoJo for Brexit.

1 Like

Much of the cost / benefit reasoning in terms of Brexit fails to account for ideology - Nationalism is the force behind Brexit (bigotry / racism / narrowness), with a disaster capitalism / Tax haven / social engineering project as the not so ‘hidden’ complementary motivating ‘sponsor’.

From the Nationalist perspective the whole point of Brexit is to crash out of the EU.

The British media is hugely responsible for perpetuating the line that Plastic Churcill is actually interested in a deal. I don’t believe we are seeing a negotiating tactic but rather: asset stripping, Tax protection for the rich, disaster capitalism and nationalism which seemingly has vote winning appeal.

1 Like

They must have a vision for the kind of country they want us to become but the only role model I can see that they might be trying to emulate is Brazil.

1 Like

1 Like

A long time since I read LWW but wasn’t Narnia more competently governed?

i think any where is more competently governed. i doubt if anyone else has been stupid enough to assemble such an assortment if incompetent arseholes into one room, and have the nerve to class them as a government.

4 Likes

Could be worse:

7 Likes

I don’t understand why I have a very real feeling of foreboding bordering upon despair for the country and the next generations future.

1 Like

Precog ?

Is it because we’re on the brink of disaster?

That could be the National Anthem at the conclusion of the deal/no deal shambles.

1 Like

More appropriate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1fl6u8ut0

2 Likes

It’s a shame, I can’t find a recording called ’ we’re fucked '. Perhaps someone knows better.

1 Like