Brexit episode 2 - the attack of the gammon

…and still a second peoples vote is undemocratic

3 Likes

Since my MP lives in Beaconsfield, I’d be quite happy with a swap for Grieve. Still wouldn’t make me vote Tory though.

Does anyone seriously think a second referendum is on the cards without first having a general election?

To hard to call but I’d seriously welcome one.

I want one too, it is the only mechanism to turn over the result. I just don’t see either Lab or Tory supporting it either in this parliament nor a manifesto.

It will need a new party to hoover up all the remain votes in a GE, or certainly enough to form a coalition and force it in.

In the meantime the chances of us jumping off the cliff are going up.

On another note, did I really see Orange marching bands in London yesterday?

You did see Orange marching bands although Scottish ones.

I wonder how many other remain supporting MPs will be deselected, particularly in really safe seats? The Guardian reports the move against Grieve was led by a former Kipper who joined the Tories last year.

Senior Tory on the BBC this morning saying that Tory MPs cannot be deselected by local parties. Maybe Beaconsfield locals think they are in Labour (or UKIP)?

Sorry, my comment was unclear. It is evident from the article that deselection is a separate process from the no-confidence issue. It seems unlikely that MPs positions are sustainable without the support of their local organisations though.

To be honest, much as we regard him as hard-working, realistic, thoughtful, principled, honourable, etc, etc he has been pretty rude about the Conservative government over recent months and at one point he said he was ashamed to be a Conservative. They claim to be a broad church, but if a big enough gap opens up between the main body of the party and an individual then you can see why they might feel he either needs to come back into the fold or go. I suppose the same might be said of Ken Clarke, and he’s still there, but his record in the Thatcher years probably means he’s untouchable.

VB

12 Likes

Hahahahahaha!!! :rofl:

Edit: thanks Pete, that is brilliant. Haven’t laughed so hard in ages! :joy:

1 Like

A nice summary of how we to to where we are.

6 Likes

Good article. Nails Corbyn’s shameful role.

Next up is May’s de facto accomplice, Jeremy Corbyn. He is a covert Leaver masquerading as a Remainer, the opposition leader who refuses to lead, the head not so much of a government-in-waiting than of an “opposition in hiding” as one commentator put it.

With even a halfway decent opposition leader, Britain would never have voted for Brexit. Though Corbyn and his coterie of far-left aides profess to believe in people power, they have since done their best to frustrate the overwhelming majority of Labour members who abhor Brexit. The grass roots feel betrayed. Chants of “Where’s Jeremy Corbyn?” punctuated last Saturday’s march.

2 Likes

3 Likes

It’s such a shame Spitting Image isn’t on these days - they would have had a field day the last couple of years.

4 Likes

Gammon nearly grilled.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t have needed to write any scripts, that’s for sure

2 Likes

Always worth a read.

1 Like

OK hands up, how many (besides me) had to google “purple ohms”

5 Likes