Brexit episode 2 - the attack of the gammon

Was probably one of graylings ferries that hit it on the 12th

1 Like

I was about to write something about him ending up as Leader of the Opposition, ie replacing Corbyn through pure ineptitude, standing for the wrong party, but the way everything is going, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility…

1 Like

Ghost ship?

1 Like

Marie Celeste?

Flying Dutchman?

The Pequod.

You see? Do you see?
Ahab beckons, he’s dead but he beckons.

2 Likes

:whale:

1 Like

Abraham Lincoln was also assassinated on the 14th April, so along with the Titanic portentially a good day to avoid

Treeza giving it one final push!

1 Like

Edit

6 Likes

Sammy Wilson on Today “Don’t forget we fought a terrorist campaign to stay in the United Kingdom.”

Said with pride.

Christ!!

Meanwhile, I don’t think I’ll be doing much work this morning. This as much an intellectual who’s-who of remainers as you’re gonna find

Corbyn

6 Likes

I think he corrected himself a few moments later, saying they fought against a terrorist campaign. But no-one would have been unaware how they did it.

VB

He can correct himself all he wants, he knew what he was saying. I haven’t forgotten his red-beret’d past

an explanation read this morning.

The Withdrawal Agreement incorporates the backstop arrangements which the government claims will never be needed. The backstop would be a terrible arrangement for the UK to fall into and one it would be unable to extricate itself from. The political declaration is so woolly it would almost inevitably cause the backstop to be needed. So while, as the government says, some kind (probably this kind) of withdrawal agreement is absolutely necessary the political declaration which is currently pointed towards a Canada style hard brexit means its worst outcome will arise.

1 Like

I think that many of the problems are due to the early EU decision to separate the negotiations into two halves - withdrawal, then future relationship. This was probably a power play by the EU, they are regretting it now, but we didn’t challenge it sufficiently. Hindsight is a killer here - nobody expected our parliament to be so “dysfunctional” that it couldn’t approve the withdrawal agreement without having a clear final outcome in sight, but in many ways it’s actually quite right not to do so, as it is not likely ever to find a majority for the final outcome.

1 Like

I recall that everyone thought the future relationship would take years to sort out, which it will if we don’t just want to walk away on WTO terms. The young Brexiteers were reckoned to have issues with delayed gratification (Why don’t they just get on with it ?) and the old ones wanted to see at least something happen before they died. There would inevitably be at least some delay, given the Brexiteers’ complete lack of a plan (again excepting WTO). So perhaps sorting out ‘the easy bit’ didn’t sound like such a bad idea ?

VB

Tell him Brian

1 Like

Exactly the point - it sounded like a good idea, but in hindsight it was a terrible plan

Who on earth wrote that ?

Not at all a power play, but basic common sense: not seperating the two would have required us to have known what the bloody hell we wanted, which we clearly didn’t. And still don’t. If we had known what the hell we wanted, it wouldn’t have been split up.