Build your own 747

I had a site of 100 people burn down with nobody in it due to a printer overheating due to it being piled high and surrounded with printout in a EH&S office. Totally gutted the site.

Good job I have DR plan.

If I bought one I would want to listen to both the standard AN one and Definitives modded one. Not sure I would be happy about having the expensive silver one taken out tbh.

Just got the phono stage part of this running tonight. Sounding lush. Still waiting for the line stage valves.

9 Likes

You can have it without if you like. But the two are totally different things.I have never particularly liked stepped attenuators, somehow what ever ā€˜stepā€™ you end up on is either too quiet or too loud. One of the reasons I donā€™t like the dual mono stepped attenuators that PQ now uses in the ANUK pre-amps.

1 Like

Very interesting, sounds promising.

Sounds like i may need one of these in my life.

Inverse RIAA is in the post.

Did you build it corrected? Or as per schematic?

Corrected so itā€™ll be interesting to see what it does via the inverted RIAA.

:+1:

Need to wire up the other inputs & outputs and shorten the wires from the mains transformer. I found some old Jensen 0.22uF PIO in a spares box some of which are still smeared with black Mastic from a previous project. But they seem to work well enough as a temporary measureā€¦ I have some Russki 0.15uF PIO on their way. Also need to wire in the pot & fit line stage coupling capsā€¦ The fitting of the wiring will have to be the last thing as I suspect the shortish lengths will prevent the board from being lifted easily once all those connections are made.

The white ribbon is the link to the input selector but it doesnā€™t carry any signal, just allows the correct relays to be actuated. The valves currently fitted in the line stage are just some ECC83ā€™s. I wanted to load down the filament supply and to a degree the HT supply by roughly the right amount.

It seems very quiet. Plenty of gain though.

Canā€™t wait to hear it Guy :+1:

It would be great to hear it side by side with the real thing.

I bet it measures better

Possibly.

An M77 owner would need rather large balls to allow such a comparison :grinning:

The sound of the line stage will be more telling to me. Iā€™m quite familiar with that, less so with just the phono stage. I think Kevin has also worked out that the quality of the 6072ā€™s or at least the particular type fitted make quite a lot of difference with the triple mica ones being optimal but hard to come by now.

1 Like

Howā€™s it going? Did you manage to try the line stage yet?

The other 6072ā€™s turned up today so Iā€™ll do a bit now. I also want to disable the relay that turns off the phono stage filament supply when phono isnā€™t selected as it leaves their HT on. Not sure why theyā€™ve done that.

Iā€™ve been enjoying it today playing CDs through the inverse RIAA & then the phono stage. It has character certainly but is very pleasant all the same.

3 Likes

Are you able to measure the response to see how accurate it is?

Trying to remember how we did it before. Was it pink noise from a test cd via the inverse riaa & then the phono? We were looking at the recorded o/p in Audacity as I recall.

Or were we just looking at the uncorrected output?

From memory you sent me some pink noise sales posted from a test LP. Itā€™s not ideal as that include the cart and a test record which may or may not be trustworthy. Better to use a laptop and soundcard with something like Holmimpulse or TrueRTA.