Building Speakers

Speaking of @simonms have you seen his birthday present to himself? :joy:

That’s pure bollocks! If you buy vintage drivers then you won’t lose money on them, so the “cost” is just the woodwork. Ish :wink:

You could do a lot worse than the Lampizator P17s - those I built were great fun, using an Eminence 15 alpha and the Saba Greencones. You could built a pair for under £500, and I would suggest spending that kind of money first build.

If you wanted horns, then the starter might be the same Eminence 15a open baffle for bass, then a 160Hz horn for upper bass, then an upper mid and tweeter. JBL drivers would cost £1-2k.

And digital crossovers FTW

2 Likes

2 Likes

I would go the horn route obvs, do some reading. There are loads of ways of doing it but I would suggest start small with minimal outlay. Maybe 3-way with OB bass, a mid horn and a tweeter and three amps. A behringer xo will get you started. If you like the process and are encouraged by the sound you can then make it a rolling project and go down the rabbit hole, or refine what you have i.e, exotic drivers, xo etc, etc. BTW, I think a 160hz horn may be a bit deep for your requirements at pres, over a metre long!

Go horn, even a fairly modest set up will get you scale and dynamics that box speakers can’t touch.

2 Likes

i have the frugelhorns xl here at the moment and they are well worth building , would that be worthwhile using a kit . they have quite reasonable bass . anyday now the owner will be taking them home probably

2 Likes

How’d you mean?

Wut?

2 Likes

That’s a fair point, and one I need to consider a little more. Genese Quartets at 1500€ are quite tempting.

7 Likes

What are those beauties?

I have a soft spot for these babies below (currently my desktop…recently replaced a Caterham CSR) and yest I am only 12…ish.

Do you have any more details on them?

Yehbut, how about an adventure?

http://kolbrek.hoyttalerdesign.no/index.php/horns/exponential-midrange-2

They sounded very good at ETF.

3 Likes

The stage where they started talking about pouring liquid tin into a mould was the point where I went “not a first build”!

1 Like

Looks like a bms coaxial.

I don’t think that they are a current model but i love the look

1 Like

Looks like a horn on the compression driver…only now noticed after your post made me look closer.

Looks like a Dalek before they discovered that not all angles need to be 90 degrees.

There’s a few around, from BMS, B&C, RCF etc,