Cambridge cxn

Real novice question.
How do you get music ripped on your laptop to a cxn streamer?

Currently using a very old squeezebox to micromega dac.

I don’t use any subscription streamer services,so basically just my cds. Would a 2nd hand cxn be any better than what I’m using?

The CXN would replace the squeeezebox. The external DAC would be optional (as it is with the squeezebox)
So the question is would the DAC in the CXN be better than the Micromega?

If it isn’t then there is no point
@Tons_of_fun might have a better informed opinion on that.

There is also maybe a benefit of replacing the squeezebox if it is really ancient, from a reliability POV.

1 Like

Yes,the squeezebox is 15 plus years old.
The kids have Spotify so I guess that could be played through it.

My ancient Squeezebox 3 works perfectly, and I have a spare one in a cupboard. When they both break, I’ll see what the latest streaming solutions look like.

1 Like

Mine is the 3.
Guess I may as well continue with it as it works fine.

You’ll need to store your ripped cd’s on something. The usual solution is to use a network attached drive (NAS) which is connected to your router. For ripping the music you’ll need either a music playing programme with ripping and auto tagging features, or dedicated ripping software. I use Media Monkey but there’s plenty of other programmes to choose from. You can set it up to save your files to the NAS drive.
You’ll then be able to direct your streamer to the NAS drive and your music library folder.

1 Like

Stu is currently storing his ripped CDs on a laptop and playing through a squeezebox so that bit is already done.
Agree an external drive might be better especially if not backed up from the laptop

1 Like

The CXN seems very similar to a Squeezebox. It will access shared files on your network (such as on your laptop), and you control it using an app on your phone. It would actually work with Squeezebox server if you wanted.

I can’t really see much point in changing, unless you just wanted something that actually looks like hi-fi. It would work better with hi-res stuff, if you have that.

No don’t have any hi res stuff
Seems a pointless move I think.
Will save my pennies for a better laptop or a 2nd hand dell pc as this one is a bit rubbish.

I may have a spare laptop in a month, if so I’ll bring it to Lopwell for you.

2 Likes

I don’t know how much stuff you have ripped on your laptop Stu, but memeory is getting cheaper and it would be a good idea to back it up on an external drive,

1 Like

Only around 200 or so albums

I actually quite enjoy ripping them them for some strange reason.

As said, you could copy your files on a NAS. New rips can be added from your laptop to the NAS.

However, there might be other possibilities if you don’t want a NAS:

Alternative 1: copy your files to a USB stick, attach the USB stick to the CXN.
Possible downside, you need to copy new rips to the USB by plugging the USB stick to your laptop every time and again. I’m not certain if the USB stick in the CXN would be visible in your network. I would assume it would through DLNA.

Alternative 2: some router/modems have a USB port that can be accessed as if it were a NAS.
(I have a Fritz Box that has this option.) Attach a USB stick to the modem and you have alternative 1 that surely can be accessed through the network.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

CXN is a nice thing. After championing squeezeboxen for ages, I eventually gave up when several decided to brick themselves. Got a CA np30 and then a CXN v2. The dad inside is pretty good and can handle hi Rez audio if that’s your bag. Best thing for me is that I can dump all my music onto a large usb or sd ‘stick’ and it doesn’t need a laptop, pc or nas to be spun up to listen to music.
If your sb works and you are happy with it then no point changing but if you want to break free of reliance on slimserver or whatever it is these days then the CXN is nice for the money. Speaking of which wait for richer sounds to have a demo model for a knock down price. I got mine for about £200 off.

1 Like

Like the sound of that