Car Wants (maybe once, but now just anything Jim can find on the internet. 🙄)

Agreed. The Alfa should be the choice (if he must change :roll_eyes:) but given how reliable Alfas are and how often Pete drives his second car, it would be stuck outside on the drive 99.99% of the time. :joy:

Did you just make that thing up about reliability in your head?

1 Like

No, I’ve owned and run plenty of them :smiley:

4C’s?

The 4C is carbon fibre, so isn’t going to rust. And they seem to be holding steady price wise at ~£40k. It’s certainly interesting and it’s definitely a serious contender.

2 Likes

The R8 interior is highly problematic as we’ve discussed before. Those seats have no place in a car like that. The rest of the package looks fucking awesome. Properly timeless as MW says on the video and I agree with him the old one looks better.

Just looked the Alfa interior. Seats look great, rest of the interior not so much. The steering wheel is gopping.

Yeah, the R8 interior is not ideal, basically like sitting in an A4. However, the rest of the car isn’t really possible to criticise, despite what @Jim thinks.

While a 911 is a top-end sports car, the R8 is a baby super car, especially in V10 form.

The 997.2 is basically the same as what I have, even if I got a GTS, it isn’t going to be significantly different and if I’m changing, I might as well change. The 991, while nice, is again more of the same, but drives even less like a Porsche.

1 Like

1st gen manual V10s are likely to be fairly sought after things in the years to come. A late ‘analogue’ car.

1 Like

You’re allowed your opinion, even if it wildly differs to literally hundreds of reviews on the web. :+1:

Having driven a 997 and 991, the 991 drives like a sanitised version of the 997. Which in turn was a sanitised version of previous 911s.

Of course, you’re allowed to quote internet opinion as fact where it supports the view you want supported. :grinning:

2 Likes

I think there does come a point, particularly with a “weekend sports car”, where the sheer ubiquity of them becomes a factor in decision making. There is no probably doubt that Porsches are the ‘best’ at lots of things in most categories, but when I see one I’m never minded to think ‘holy fuck’, I need one of those.

Whenever I see an R8, I always get that feeling. And frankly I’ve never seen a 4C in the flesh so I suspect that would elicit a similar response.

I bought the 911 because it could do everything, albeit primarily a sports car, so those other things are compromised.

But I’ve realised that as a weekend car I don’t need something that can do the other stuff as well and therefore could go with something more extreme. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the 911, just don’t need it’s broad capability.

The R8 appeals because as I said it’s basically a lambo in drag. The 4C because it’s an Alfa and also proper baby super car - think mini-McLaren/Elise combo.

2 Likes

You drove my 991 (was that the only time you’ve driven one?) along the motorway and some A roads through towns - hardly a comprehensive test.
Why don’t you come up here and give it a proper blast down the Norfolk lanes you were so scornful about. I’m sure it would change your opinion and put a smile on your face! :grinning:

I will! :grinning: Don’t get me wrong, I love it Jim, but it definitely feels more “normal” than the 997 and even more of an all rounder.

The reality is that it’s not different enough - if I’m going to change, I might as well get something completely different. If I was getting another 911, I’d really want a 997 GTS (well, actually I want a GT3, but that’s not going to happen) because it’s a bit more extreme. I’m sure a 991 GTS would be great as well, but £££££

3 Likes

Noble M12

1 Like

Too fugly.

1 Like

Aye, but it would be a bit mad. Mad can sometimes be a good thing. Porsche is not mad. Audi is not mad.

If I was going mad, I’d buy a KTM X-Bow or Ariel Atom and do it properly.

2 Likes

Do that then. Stop fucking about. Don’t have to keep it forever. Just be mad a little while.

You should keep your 997 and get something else imo. The Alfa 4c would be my choice (or Noble if wanting to go wild). A bloke 75 yards down the road had/has a 4c, he also had/has a vintage Alfa. He is a car trader and I don’t know him. Covid may have resulted in him selling both cars or he is garaging them over winter perhaps as they are no longer on his drive. Definitely not the Audi. They sound great but look dated imo.

1 Like