Carving bodies and necks

Getting towards the end of the project. Numerouse fiddley jobs to complete.

Got the lion’s share of the hardware installed, including the pickups, bridge, tuners, pick guard, string ferrules, pots, swtich, jack socket and wiring. Conneted it to an amp, no hum and the tone, volume and swtich are all working as they should. (tapping the pickup’s pole peices with a screw driver while conneted to an amp is sufficient to check everything is correct, or not as the case maybe).

This is the schematic I have followed, couldn’t get much more basic.

Earlier in this thread I’d noted that I’d made the fretboard’s nut slot too large (for an off the shelf Fender style nut) and that i’d “get away with it” somehow.

This concluded with me buying a bone nut blank and working it down to fit the slot I’d created.

Got to make that big lump of bone fit in there…

hand held belt sander clamped to a black + decker work mate

Bone stinks when it’s being sanded, dust mask, goggles and ear protection required and a very steady hand.

finish on a leveling beam & 240grit sand paper to get a snug fit.

Approx 0.5mm deeper than Fender, but wevs, I’m not Fender.

Need to cut 6 string slots evenly spaced, to the correct depth and angle. That’s a job for anothe day.

I reckon there’s 2-4 hours work before it’ll be a working guitar. I hope to get this finished during the next few evenings.

29 Likes

Wonderful stuff. :+1:

1 Like

For a first effort that is stunning!

Thanks
I’ve been lucky, the lump of wood I bought for the body wasn’t crap,

And just to reiterate, I did go on a course 6 months ago to learn how to do fret work and some of the theory. I’ve also built up a decent set of quality tools over the last couple of years, - they have really helped.

Tbh, I had low expectations as there’s a great deal of scope for catastrophic error, I’ve ended up with something I’m actually going to be proud of. I don’t think I can really bugger it up from here…
(famous last words)

13 Likes

That looks the business :ok_hand:

1 Like

Very impressive work. A well deserved sense of pride when you play it I would imagine.

2 Likes

Superb, you have my admiration, not to mention a touch of envy.:clap::clap::clap::beer:

1 Like

You’ve had a result with sanding the stain back, just with oil that looks really good.

1 Like

Looks amazing mate. Well done!

1 Like

Looks great. Can’t wait to see it completely finished :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

It’s a superb job Graham.

When it’s finished we need a video of you playing Purple Haze on it :grinning:

It looks fantastic, I’m very impressed.

Just to confirm, that’s not happening. :+1:

6 Likes

Whole thread rendered pointless. :joy:

Yeah, I’ll probably end the thread here. I’m sure everyone can imagine what it will look like with strings fitted leaning up an amp.

1 Like

Haha now now, were all looking forward to seeing it finished. :+1:

I was joking, but now the idea is in my head…

3 Likes

Looks fantastic Graham, please show us how it looks when it’s complete :heart_eyes:

I for one have lost interest and most definitely don’t want to see him make a bell of himself playing it.

No way. Yeesh.

1 Like

I have a horrible feeling we’re not going to see it or hear it now.:confused: