Carving bodies and necks

Gary? :thinking:

I’m sure that Gary is a nice name and suits one or two people.

I’ve been called much worse

I wondered if it was your stage name.

Its a bolt on neck so a filler of some sort isn’t an option. If it was a set (glued) neck then I’d have already done exactly that.
Ill have to deepen the cutaway with my spindle sander until its removed, if not reduced.

So sorry Graham! (Hangs head in shame)

I was wondering if a small triangular-section fillet of timber might do it, not a glue or filler. Hard to visualise without being there; I hope it isn’t a ball-ache to resolve anyway

1 Like

Having slept on it i have come up with an elaborate plan (that probably wont work) which is a combination of a fillet, filler and glue that will be permanently attached to the neck.

I’ll have a go later.

1 Like

You need the help of Baldrick for your cunning plan planning.
Hope it comes together for you.

1 Like

Fill in the entire neck mortise. Then re rout it as you want it.
If you are able to use an offcut from the body, you could well end up matching grain and refraction so even with a natural finish it could be very unobtrusive

2 Likes

:+1:You could just have earned yourself a new name - Baldrick. :grin:

1 Like

Fixed it :grinning:

Built up several layers of fine chisel shavings on the corner of the heal, sanded it back and also removed a couple of mm from the body to close the gap - not perfect, but it is now acceptable to me.
Really didn’t want to fill and route the pocket again - it’s an excellent, tight interference fit. Thankfully I don’t need to.

Also routed the control cavety and made a cover from some left over neck blank material.

Radian router bits are the dogs, a finish so smooth it feels like 400grit +
highly recommeded.

12 Likes

Blown-away with what you’re creating here, Greg…

:wink:

1 Like

Not done a great deal over the last couple of weeks.
Managed to route the pick up cavities without and mishap and refine the overall shape and contours of the body.
I have been buggering about with some water based wood stains. Ended up using a green / blue mix to create a strong turquoise colour, the photos don’t do it justice, very happy with it.

Need to stop procrastinating and crack on with the fretwork.

23 Likes

ooofuk! That’s niiiice! :star_struck:

Absolutely beautiful! I love the contrast between stained top and treated but natural sides :heart_eyes:

Frets installed, back of neck oiled and numerous holes added to the body for the hardware.

Didn’t consider the pickup rings when I was carving the high fret access body contour, ended up a little to close. Oh well, too late to worry about it now.

The back ismore or less finised appart from installing 3 or 4 screws to hold the cavety cover in place. Shame it’s not the front really, very pleased with it.

Installing black hardware this time and have an agressive, hot set of pickups on order (in black).

The to do list

• Crown and polish 24 frets - ugh
  • Install pickups, pots, switch and wiring
  • Make and fit a nut
  • Other things I have forgotten at this point.
25 Likes

June has been a month of faf.

Had to route the pickup cavities 5mm deeper because the pickups I ordered arrived with long mounting legs rather than short ones, a balls up on my part. Could’ve sent them back, but decided modify the guitar. Covered it in masking take so protect it from the router base. I got away with it, but with hindsight I should have just swapped the pickups.

The pickup height adjustment screws were also too long, so I cut them now, buggered that up by cutting off too much, had to order 4 more.

Screwed up the slot for the blade switch, ended up with an unsightly gash. Set about making a cover from a Fender style pickguard, far more fiddly than I expected, especially filing the 45deg bevel edge along each side, made a jig to achieve that.

The to do list is primarily the wiring and making a nut. That’s going to be more faf than it should be, as the edge of the fretboard isn’t exactly square to the neck.

Start to look like a guitar now. The neck is ultra smooth, really very happy with that.

23 Likes

10 Likes

Now that’s a challenging wank.

3 Likes