Classical Music reco

Bruch, Violin Concerto No.1

Rachmaninov, Piano Concerto No.2

Arvo Part, Tabula Rasa - Fratres ; Spiegel Im Spiegel

Last one isn’t beginner material but I suspect Mike, that you will like the more challenging stuff.

Most stuff the version doesn’t matter too much (to begin with), although try to get the Tasmin Little recording.

2 Likes

Scheherazade is lovely
Peer gynt too
The planets is nice

The soundtracks to Disney’s fantasia and fantasia 2000 are really well recorded and a good selection. From easy stuff to stravinsky. And of course the films are great too :+1:

Streaming sites are perfect for this kind of discovery.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, yet more stuff I’ve not heard of.

I think you could be right.

Stick something on the meter

1 Like

All of these have been recorded dozens of times . . .

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique

Stravinsky - Petrouchka, Firebird Suite, Song of the Nightingale

Respighi - Roman Festivals, Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome

Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade, Cappriccio Espagnol, Russian Easter Festival Overture

Mussorgsky-Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition

1 Like

Done :+1:

One of my favourites is Aaron Copeland Appalachian Spring.

This was conducted by Aaron himself.

1 Like

IMO, as a classical fan it’s nigh on impossible to just get 3 recs and go from there.

I’ve got about 1000 classical albums on CD/Vinyl and streaming. It’s a huge vast musical landscape and you will miss out loads of great music, it really is an amazing world when you get in to it.

As for recs, I find that nigh on impossible, I love the music of people like Arnold, Glass, Adams, Vasks, Part, Kancheli, Mahler, Beethoven, Bruckner, Shostakovich, Bantock, Stravinsky, but even I can get in to stuff like Brahms which I’ve never bothered with before, but you hear one amazing recording of a piece and you end up going through 20 versions of the same piece.

It’s so reliant on giving the piece a few listens as well, as with any music the best stuff are the ones that get you going back to get in to them - Wagner, Schoenberg, Messiaen.

Start with a piece, like Beethoven’s 3rd symphony, or something like Strauss Waltzes and then see where the streaming service takes you next.

You’re going need 75 odd minutes to sit and listen to a Mahler or Bruckner symphony so don’t expect to give them one listen and be whistling the tune the next day, they can take many listens before you even begin to enjoy the rewards. That’s part of the enjoyment of listening to classical music.

7 Likes
Beethoven Moonlight
Beethoven Symphony No5
Grieg Peer Gynt
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No1

As per recommendations I’ve added Vivaldi The Four Seasons.

I need to post 1st class to get there by Christmas.

Quick question everyone - How many LP’s class as a single LP post weight wise?

1 Like

Knowing next to nothing about the genre Simon, I have to start somewhere and the folk here haven’t let me down when I’ve asked similar with other genres.

I’m happy to invest some time and see where the rabbit hole takes me. I sort of suspect that I will end up in some seldom charted Classical backwater, as that is what has happened previously.

But I have to take the first step, hence the ask. I’m really looking forward to the journey.

1 Like

Step 1 might be not getting some recordings but getting a tuner and listening to a lot of Radio 3.

The Sparf recording of the four seasons is easily the best I’ve heard.

A few more:
Monteverdi - 1610 Vespers
Handel - Keyboard suites (especially the Gavrilov/Richter version on piano)
Schubert - Impromptus op 90 & op 142

sorry didn’t mean to come across as negative or anything, I’d love to see more people putting classical records on here

3 from me

It was Tones from the days of the Wam that recommended it to me - superb recording.

Nothing to apologise for and I certainly didn’t take your post as being negative.

I’ve just been feeling that I ought to know / find out a bit more and plug a few holes my music collection.

1 Like

I have 24 classical you can have - some Digitally remastered. I haven’t a clue where I got most of the from but as you can imagine they all look unused.

I’ll spreadsheet them and see what you want.

1 Like