Classical Music reco

My 19 year old nephew loves electronic music, the more complicated and atmospheric the better with big dynamic swings.

The first time I played him the very limited number of classical stuff I have he immediately got it and could see how there were the same things he liked being used in both genres to create drama etc.

He’s now sending me classical recommendations as well as synth-wave ones. So I guess this just confirms listen with your own ears and you’ll find your own way as an approach that’s as good as any other.

5 Likes

Do you wan’t to buy an Okki Nokki? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Asked my brother, who’s a viola player, and he suggested the following.

1. Early Music
    Will you buy a fine dog?/Thomas Morley - YouTube

2. Classical
    Mozart - "Leck mich im Arsch" - Canon in B flat for 6 Voices, K. 231 / K. 382c - YouTube

3. Modernist.
    Erwin Schulhoff - Sonata Erotica for female voice solo (1919) - YouTube

2 Likes

He knows you well!

Edit: to be fair it’s a German phrase that would translate as “kiss my arse”, but still…

@MJ2 here you go.

Artist Album
Vivaldi and Baroque Vivaldi and Baroque Masterpieces Double LP
Grieg Peer Gynt / Holberg Suite
Alinoni, Bach, Handel, and others An Evening with the Academy Double LP
Bach Works for Organ Digital
Beethoven Pastoral Symphony
Beethoven Choral Philharmonia x2
Pachelbel / Fasch Canon / Concerto in D Major
Handel Overture in D Minor / Handel at Bath Suite Digital
Rachmaninov Four Piano Concertos / Rhapsody……Paganini Digital
Faure Requiem
Elgar / Vaughan Williams Enigma Variations / English folk, Greensleeves
Dvorak Symphony Nr 9
Dvorak Symphony Nr 6
Dvorak Symphony Nr 4
Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4 and 5
Beethoven Violin Concerto Romance
Beethoven Symphony No 6
Bach Concerto 1, 2 and 3
Bach Concerto 4, 5 and 6
Handel Royal Firewoks / Amaryllis / Water Music Digital
1 Like

It really is a large tree with many branches. Solo violin or chamber music can be very accessible but many of the great orchestrations are masterclasses in emotional expression. Like any art sometimes (Not always) a little reading can help bring out some context and depth that adds to enjoyment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGOFpdKi6K4

2 Likes

Thanks for that Mick. I think I’ll stick with what I have at the moment though, to get a bit of a feel for what I like, before plundering your collection any further.

1 Like

There’s so much content that is easy to be overwhelmed, and just skim the surface. I would suggest choosing a small number of pieces, 3 is a good call, and just get to know those. Read the notes, look them up on Wikipedia etc, and give it time.

1 Like

No worries, back to the attic.

Is that still what they make folks do for O-level (soz, GCSE now …) ?

Handel: smallish part of Messiah (half a dozen movements maybe ?)
Haydn: Quartet Op 76 no 2 1st movement (I liked the 2nd movement more)
Elgar: Serenade for Strings (I liked his Introduction and Allegro for Strings more)

in my case.

EDIT: Maybe we also had to do part of Mozart: Marriage of Figaro ? I can’t remember much about it, but the school organised a trip down to Covent Garden to see it and I can’t imagine they’d have done that if there wasn’t some reason.

Adagio for Strings - Samuel Berber
Gloria - Vivaldi
Violin Concerto - Tchaikovsky

All reasonably approachable.
The Gloria will give your speakers a work out, if they can reproduce full on choral they are doing a good job!

They can’t. Bigger speakers (sub, more likely) may well become a thing.

Actually, there’s one thing I’ll suggest. It was one of the few pieces that in any way penetrated by 18yo skull:

4 Likes

That’s a good example of why you should read around the music. Allegri’s Miserere was only sung at the Sistine Chapel, and copies of the music were not allowed. Then Mozart was taken to hear it as a boy, got home and wrote the whole thing out from memory. Fortunately the Pope summoned him for a pat on the back, rather then excommunication.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that and the fact that at the time at least it had the highest note sung was what at least prompted me to try and listen to it. And the fact that it was only sung by men pre Mozart’s involvement, which required the use of castrati for the highest bits. Quite a lot compacted into a single piece of music really.

Oh really, I thought it was boys for the top notes. Nasty!

There’s at least one recording floating round of the last castrati. It’s on a wax cylinder, so misses out on a goodly chunk of what gives them their characteristic sound sadly, but we’re talking that sort of time frame for them still being used for choral work.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjvfqnD0ws

A few years ago I was in the same position as you and as @Rob998 said, I found the world of classical music intimidating, so much so I kept putting off listening to it as I just didn’t know where to start, and lacked even the basic knowledge (e.g. no idea what the difference between a sonata, concerto, symphony was, etc.).

I stumbled across this book which frankly is amazing and became my bible. It has pretty much everything you need to step in to the world. It explains all the terms/jargon clearly, gives you an interesting intro to each of the major composers and their key works, and suggests ‘best’ versions to listen to. I would actually get this edition specifically not the later ones, as they simplified it and left out the recommendations I think. I’d definitely give it a go - you can just dip in and out as you wish and it’s an easy, informative read.

The Rough Guide to Classical Music (Rough Guide Music Reference): Amazon.co.uk: Rough Guides: 9781843532477: Books

5 Likes