Cocks on clocks (Part the Second)

I’ve seen a lot of stories like this concerning Omega’s official service centre; beyond the obvious laziness/incompetence I’ve no idea what the problem is.

New toy day today - Formex Essence Leggera ‘Space Rock’ - I’ve sold a few watches recently, so the guilt is manageable…

I’ve wanted a meteorite dialled watch for a long time - seems I’ll never travel the Universe, so the next best thing is a chunk of the Universe travelling to me, in this case northern Sweden’s ‘Muonionalusta’ meteorite with its characteristic Widmanstätten crystal-structure - at 4.5 billion years old it dates from the time of the Solar System’s formation and is likely part of the iron core of a planetoid (Pluto-sized or smaller) which exploded ~400 million years ago and showered Scandinavia with large chunks of red-hot iron!

I like Formex’ watches - they do things differently, yet cleverly: neat adjustable deployants, watches with shock-absorbing suspension-systems for the whole movement/dial assembly, unusual materials, unique designs, &c.

And - having previously owned a cheapy - I like the lightness and strength of carbon cases. This example goes a step further by incorporating a complete scratch-proof ceramic bezel, plus sapphire crystal and a COSC-certified movement (Sellita SW200) - itself also behind sapphire and bearing significant decoration, (perlage , blued screws, &c).

And, owning as I do both a modern Planet Ocean and a super-shiny, ultra-dark blue SLA043, I rrrreeeeeeeeeaaaalllllyyyy needed another watch that’s completely impossible to get a decent photograph of…

Anyway, this finally arrived today - I missed the first-gen 43mm models from ~3 years ago, but these 41mm are even better, easier to wear, and (surprisingly) £300 cheaper! It took approximately 24 hours to arrive after despatch from Geneva!

It’s a lovely thing to wear, even on a NATO - the NATO is a Geckota supplied one, and truly impressive quality, albeit I now realise even the best of them are not for me and I shouldn’t have cheaped-out and ordered leather or rubber instead. Mea culpa .

Demerits are small - the meteorite is much shinier and more silvery than I expected, yielding reduced contrast between itself, the hands, and the indices - not ideal when your eyes are going, but not hopeless, and worth it.

The holes in the lugs for the spring bars are set very close to the case - it’s supplied with curved spring bars, which are a faff to use and are going to make it impossible to experiment with non-fabric straps; I do wish they’d added a second set of holes sited to accommodate standard straps. This again is minor, as it’s already on a ‘Marine Nationale’ from The Watch Steward anyway.

So far: infatuated/10

9 Likes

Nice. Will need a look see at that.

1 Like

Felling rather shallow.
I was watching the Andrew Neil show with David Baddiel talking about anti semitism and internet conspiracy theories.
Found my self saying " Ooh look he is wearing a Monaco"

6 Likes

Ha ! I did exactly the same :grin:

I’m still looking to buy a used Omega planet ocean, is it worth waiting to see if prices will fall? What’s the general consensus?

They’re around 2.8-3.5 normally no? They’ve hovered around that for a good while now.

I’ve been looking at 3-4 year old models which seem to be around the £4k - 4.5k range.

They will come down - very slowly; mine is about 3 years old and £3.2k, but that was from a forum where lower prices are the cost of more peace-of-mind about who you’re dealing with.

3 Likes

Cheers Paul very nice indeed :ok_hand:

17 Likes

Looks well on you Al, nice choice of strap too :ok_hand:

I’m well chuffed Paul - unfortuntely I couldn’t get the green and yellow one to sit right on my wrist and remembered I had a plain green NATO.

Thanks for the additional straps they will be put to good use on one of my other watches. :+1:

1 Like

What is the lug width? 20mm?

:+1:

1 Like

I like these.

3 Likes

Very nice, I love everything Hajime Asaoka gets involved with, his own hand made watches are superb but spendy (understandably)

2 Likes

Lovely.

Lovely thing. Not a silly price either.

1 Like

Failed to resist.

28 Likes

One for @freefallrob - chap on TZ-UK selling a very limited edition Sinn chrono made for Mazda when the RX-8 was launched:

The little rotor takes the place of the sub-seconds hand, so ticks round constantly (unlike the real thing… :wink:).

At (a not-unreasonable) £1,650, it’s probably quite a bit more valuable than the cars now are, if any still exist…?

6 Likes