Cocks on clocks (Part the Second)

4 Likes

NoT a CoLleCtoR

7 Likes

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/oceanexplorer

Not that I understand the tide bezel or dial.

1 Like

Springs = Big tidal range
Neaps = Small tidal range

All to do with phases of the moon.
Spring tides at the new moon and full moon
There are extra high spring tides at equinoxes

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll still need to look up how that bezel works, I couldn’t see it just at a glance. I like the watch just for being a bit different.

The bezel will be manually set to local high water, loads of places I used to sail, a mooring might only be navigable 2 hours either side of high water, the tide may turn outside the harbour entrance an hour before local high water etc.
Springs and Neaps is effectively a moonphase complication
It really is a tool watch to be used and set locally, probably by yachties.

1 Like

I have dreamt about living on a yacht, I think that is good enough to justify ownership :smiley:

Nice one! Was that the one on tzuk?

Yes, that’s the one

I was tempted! Good looking watch

2 Likes

In my continued getting rid of stuff I don’t need anymore, I have a zenith I will list on tzuk UK soon.

Anyone here interested before I list it tomorrow?

The dial is a lovely navy blue, doesn’t really show in this picture.

6 Likes

Not for me, but a price might help?

5 Likes

Semi-ditto.

It’s not a desirable model, it’s ugly and it looks a bit too big. £25? :grin:

I bid £26. No, wait, £25.50.

1 Like

It’s been in the safe at work for 6 months, will get it out and see what’s what with it :+1:

Zenith Disco Volante UFO
It is a 01-1180-290. There is one on eBay that has literally been polished to death for £660 or another at £530 that again is polished to death without a bracelet.

This one still has the original blue wax on the case back from new. Comes with box and a leaflet about the international warranty, but no papers.

Is 19.5cm laid out, so 23.0315 barleycorn for you imperial weirdos.

Case and bracelet are incredibly crisp for its age with just a few scratches and marks. This has never been polished from new.
Movement was serviced 6 months ago, dial has marks which you can see when you catch it in the light. But nothing bad especially considering it’s age being a 70s watch.

£525.00

3 Likes

Amazing condition, is it an in-house movement? If it is, I’d suspect it’d go like a shot from TZ for a few £hundred more than you’re asking here.

In house

2 Likes