Coffee machine

7 Likes

Not sure Iā€™m any further on with the right thing to buy.
:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes::face_with_spiral_eyes:

Jura E6 I have is pretty good although if you use milk function the cleaning is a bit of a pain.

E6 Platinum ā€“ JURA Outlet Jura outlet is OK, although I got mine via Peter Tyson eBay site when they had a additional discount on.

1 Like

I bought a used Sage duo temp pro to see if I could be bothered with the faff without spending much money. Three years on and itā€™s still going strong and I donā€™t see any reason to upgrade.

4 Likes

Why go for the easy/automated option when additional faff is available?

'Tis the AA way:

Or even more faff - must be an ultrasonic probe which should deliver higher power than a bath, but may still be worth trying your Velvet Vortex!

2 Likes

Quite interesting and not the terrible article I was expecting

Can older people taste the difference, given that they have lost the ability to distinguish the higher frequencies?

1 Like

This is something Iā€™ve been looking at, we have an old DeLonghi EC330S which must be at least 15-years old now, still works OK but is getting quite noisy and would be nice to have an upgrade. Itā€™s designed to use the ESS pods but I never have and just us shop ground coffee, mostly from Waitrose with the ones I like. I very rarely use the milk frother these days but is nice to have.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-EC330S-Machine/dp/B000C3MLJS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Are the Sage ones still the best options at the budget end of the spectrum (Ā£200-Ā£300)? A built in grinder would be nice but not essential.

Bambino+ and a grinder is the :goat: at the budget end.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll check it out.

Has anyone had any experience with portable coffee makers like the below, or could someone recommend something. Looking to be able to have a reasonable cup of coffee when I start my new job van driving without having to venture into Starbucks of Costas.

What is the difference between that and an aeropress?

You donā€™t drink from an aeropress??

2 Likes

I have the mini-aeropress which is a self contained unit with itā€™s own cup, but tbh both require a source of hot water, and the Wacaco does seem like a neater less fuss option?

TBH I donā€™t know, I think they do the same thing just the Wacoco looks a bit easier/less fussy to use.

I have a NanoPresso for hiking/camping, itā€™s a superb bit of kit for coffee on the go. When travelling light, using the Nespresso attachment is so clean/tidy.

1 Like

Iā€™m a real fan of lever machines - reliable, easy to repair - analogue way of making coffee, when compared to an all singing and dancing bean to cup machine.

Home system

Elektra Micro Casa a Leva (Ā£1034 from coffeeitalia.co.uk)
Eureka Oro Mignon single dose grinder (c. Ā£440 various outlets) - as my wife drinks decaf and I need caffeine
Brita water jug with MAXTRA Pro Limescale cartridges (as I live in a hard water area - c Ā£35)

Cheap scales Ā£10 from Amazon
Tamper Ā£17.99 from Amazon
Dosing Funnel Ā£7.40 from eBay

Office system

1970s Faema Zodiaco lever machine (Ā£1100 second hand - complete with inline Brita filter system and Flojet water feed)
Eureka Helios 65 grinder (eBay second hand Ā£350)

Cups from https://coffeecups.co.uk

Coffee Beans from Ethical Addictions - Brazilian Vira Mao single origin

12 Likes

Hi again
Got an aero press and bought a little hand grinder to play with but still looking out for a good machine.
The bambino plus is an option but if there are any more suggestions donā€™t be shy.

My main recommendation is donā€™t scrimp on the grinder. If youā€™re doing espresso, you need a consistent, sturdy, well made, espresso focused grinder. IMHO this starts at the Eureka Mignon level (with the specialita being the sweet spot in the range). You can pay a little less and get a significantly worse grinder.

With practice, most espresso machines will pull a decent shot, but you cannot get good espresso from a crap, inconsistent grind.

2 Likes