Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

The 3 group machine the owner loves is gorgeous.

Has anyone freeze distilled some milk before?

From what I gather you freeze a container of milk, then turn it upside down in another container and let it defrost in a fridge. When around half the volume has defrosted you discard this liquid and keep use what’s left in the original container. Apparently intensifies the milk flavours by getting rid of the water content and other bits. Also steams up far better and makes better foam.

Good reason not to do it

1 Like

I like the taste of milk!

Anyway….

I usually get my coffee from Horsham Coffee Roasters, just ordered another bag and thought I would collect as I’m working in Horsham till next month. To my surprise the roaster is now located in my home town 12 minutes walk away and they have opened a cafe inside too. The joy :star_struck:

8 Likes

With the order ready for collection it would have been rude not to try the cafe bit out, really nice natural Costa Rican with tonnes of zing :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Makes perfect sense to me - it’s basically the same process used to freeze-clarify a stock, except you want the liquid half not the frozen half.

1 Like

And a cake?

Was forced into a Starbucks flat white while travelling up the motorway the other day.

Good. Christ.

4 Likes

Always! Can’t have an espresso without something sweet on the side

1 Like

I was forced into a Starbucks flat white at a mini Starbucks franchise in a leisure centre yesterday. Grim.

1 Like

Needs must when the devil vomits in your kettle:

2 Likes

Go to Russia, no such problem!

1 Like

He’s a big fan, obviously!

Next up: Jay Rayner reviews ready meals.

I think that would be funny, but only if no-one told him. Ditto the Hoffman review, he should have done it blind.

I doubt there a rabid ready-meal fans who will try and argue they are better than fresh cooked food the way Nespresso fans argue that it’s just as good as the real thing though.

We have invested heavily in a brand new second hand coffee machinery.

Behold our £5 investment. Complete with dent.

8 Likes

Simply get a reverse osmosis water system, flat burr grinder and roast your own beans, and you can have great coffee. Kinda like hi-fi in the 70s, where Linn Kans made great sense as long as you had a tricked up Sondek!

6 Likes

If you can remove the pressurising disc and get yourself a decent hand grinder you’ll be very pleasantly surprised . Even if you can’t remove the disc, use freshly ground beans

1 Like

I’ve no idea what a pressurising disc is unfortunately?