Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

1 Like

Lies, damn lies and statistics :slightly_smiling_face:

Still enjoying it?
Was thinking of trying one of the flat bed jobbies.

1 Like

Honestly Dom, itā€™s fantastic. I have three different coffees on the go at the moment and itā€™s completely even handed with each of them. Iā€™m yet to make a poor brew with it.

It seems to me that what it does is extract the coffee very evenly, I havenā€™t made a drink yet where it tastes both over and under extracted.

Iā€™ve made really good coffee with all the devices Iā€™ve bought but this one, unlike all the others, just does the same thing every time. Iā€™ve probably been brewing within a four step range on the grinder and you can really taste little adjustments. Iā€™ve run out of the proprietary filters, so have been using the Kalita 185 ones. They draw much slower but I can still make a great coffee with them and Iā€™m cycling through another four courser steps on the grinder. I do think the coffee tastes different with the Kalita filter but then again I havenā€™t quite had the same amount of time to piss about with them yet, like I did with the other type. It doesnā€™t matter, Iā€™m getting realIy good results wherever I have the grind setting. You can really tune it to how you like it, with no random aspect. Its really difficult to make a bad drink!

I like a high swirl in the first pour, it seems to produce real vivid flavours. With the V60 itā€™s dangerous because you can wash all the fines into the tip of the cone and block it, causing the brew to over extract. With this it makes no difference, you get all the good and none of the bad. I have more of the proper filters coming tomorrow. :muscle:

@dom if you are thinking of trying a flat bottomed brewer, get one of these. I have the Kalita in both sizes and this is in a different league.

Iā€™m drinking mad amounts of coffee at the moment, up to five or six per day. I really canā€™t get enough!

3 Likes

Exciting will get one next month and experiment away

1 Like

Iā€™d be very surprised if youā€™re unimpressed with it. :+1:

After suffering three weeks without caffeine of any variety since my last Nespresso machine popped its last pod :cry:, and reading (and ignoring) all the sage advice on here I today pulled the plug on a Fuckbook Marketplace bargain, and am once again happy yet unfulfilled due to lack of covfaffe! :person_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

(80ā€™s casual footwear alertā€¦)

Pods Rule! :shushing_face:

Pistachio affogato

7 Likes

Can anyone recommend a temp controlled gooseneck kettle?

Iā€™m going down the pour over faff route (thanks a lot).

That isnā€™t really a temp controlled kettle it is a kettle with a temperature dial.
If you want a kettle that gets to a preset temp and maintains it then you will need an electric kettle.

I have one of these (non -electric) kettle which is cheap and cheerful but does the job

Yes I thought Iā€™d get an electric kettle with preset control. For this as well as my Puā€™erh tea as Iā€™ve seen 90Ā°C mentioned for it but have never bothered.

Might as well go all in now though.

I really like my Dualit one, which you can get from John Lewis, and itā€™s only about Ā£80.

My previous Brewista was not as nice to hold, more expensive and broke after two years.

1 Like

I hope this doesnā€™t prove an expensive purchase

1 Like

I have no fucking idea as canā€™t drink the black stuff. Just wanted to post some kettle shit :grin:

1 Like
1 Like

I should have known thereā€™d be a video on YouTube :person_facepalming:

Will watch that later, thanks.

Espresso fans, there is much win to be had here.

2 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to go with that Timemore one. Iā€™d looked at it before watching the video and although he doesnā€™t recommend it and it annoyed him he hasnā€™t put me off. Much pain and misery awaits no doubt.