Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

You have some nice hessian.

Rather than a V60 pour over? Seems a bit extreme :wink:

Oh, you meant the brew method! :grin:

My impression with his method is that he is saying that it is as simple as poss and not to obsess about it but then making it over complicated and giving you things like pour rates to obsess over.

I don’t like the fine grind.

I don’t like the fine grind in conjunction with swirling and the divot in the top of the coffee bed.

I don’t agree with fucking with water temperature! Fuck that shit. Fix the water temp and stick with it.

There are a lot of moving parts to his method making it difficult to be consistent. I’m not saying that it’s not possible to make good coffee with it, more that it will be tricky to be consistent. I’ve tried a lot of the techniques involved in that method - the divot, the swirling, the fine grind etc, but found all of them tend to lead to inconsistency. Hate the divot actually, that really has an affect that’s hard to control!

The best method I have found is this: How to Make Coffee Using the 4:6 Brewing Method – Philocoffea

I have linked to it before, I think there are a few others here that use it too. It just works. It uses a much coarser grind than the Hoff’s one which I believe makes it less susceptible to the effects of turbulence when you pour. Pulse pouring with a fine grind I’ve found very tricky to control consistently in the past.

The key to pour over is to get a method that is simple and repeatable so that the only thing you adjust is the grind size.

2 Likes

Maybe you should stick to tea, have you thought of that? :rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t think you should be giving anyone advice about tea.

3 Likes

I need to punish myself somehow.

Anyway, I do like some over others but I’m not arsed about descriptive flavour profiles. I prefer one with a bit of dark chocolate and the other with a bit of cake so there must be some balancing thing going on.

Hah yes sorry that wasn’t clear.

I read about the Kasuya method but it seemed quite fiddly trying to split measurements up into 4:6 and other amounts. However if I work it all out before hand, it doesn’t seem much more difficult than Hoffman’s method. I’ll give it a go. I think above @Kevin said he used closer to the coarsest setting (40) on the Uniform so will have to play around with the coarser settings and see how it goes. It’s also interesting that Hoffman says boiling water is fine but Kasuya feels much lower is better.

Will report back!

This makes it easy

4 Likes

Ok, so will ignore your mention of flavour profiles and how you can’t taste them, in pretty much every post then! :joy:

Coffee. Cake. FML.

No wonder you can’t taste sweetness or pretty much anything else! If you want go do this, get a medium roast/dark roast Colombian coffee - nutty/chocolaty flavour - and add milk. Total waste of money buying posh beans and then noshing sweet shit with it. Fuck.

1 Like

FUCK!

5 Likes

computer rage GIF

8 Likes

I love reading this thread as it makes me feel normal

14 Likes

And me. I’m almost glad I had to give up coffee nearly 30 years ago

1 Like

It’s not quite Mince Pies '18 but I’m doing my best. :grin::+1:

4 Likes

Conspiracy theorists are mostly to blame for a dark roast

1 Like

Went to order more Beloya from Origin.

No more Beloya.

3 Likes

Was that the one with the lemongrass tasting note? That was mega. :heart_eyes:

What did you get instead? I’ve been getting quite a bit from them over the last few months. :+1:

The lemongrass one is Uraga, and yes also amazing. Just finished a pack of that, last cup yesterday.

Started my last bag of Beloya yesterday.

Have really been enjoying the Nkora house blend from Obadiah, too. Had that before the Uraga. I got another 1kg bag at the weekend.

1 Like

No more Uraga either.

Gonna try these:

1 Like

Oh yes, had the Konga. Didn’t last long! :grin:

Will go in their Euston Rd cafĂ© on Saturday morning and pick something up. I really like their single origin espresso stuff, even if they don’t necessarily have espresso in mind when they roast it.

1 Like