Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

You could try slightly less coffee. You’re on a ratio of 15:1, whereas I use about 16:1. So try 14g of coffee, say, or even 13.5g

Interesting, thanks, will do.

Coarser surely?

I think this is the method Ritchie uses, which I’m currently trying out. It meant I had to go a bit coarser than the other method I was using and I was expecting to be hit by a really sour cup when I saw how quickly it drained but it seemed to be very balanced in that respect. Obviously I finished off the beans I had and will try on the new beans once they arrive.

I could tell a difference in flavour between beans and had a definite preference. Likening the flavour to another food is still something I find difficult but I can see what people mean.

1 Like

:eyes:

4 Likes

“There are notes of dark chocolate, berries or caramel in their cup. No there aren’t. It’s coffee, not a bottle of 1961 Pinot Noir.” :joy::joy:

1 Like

And then there are the people who have literally got the tshirt.

Excited progress report - so I put the grind setting back to #38 (previously found it made the coffee too strong/burnt for me; cf Kevin’s setting of #40 for this method) but tried the sweeter and medium strength ratios from the table below (previously did standard and full strength). This made a surprising difference! It’s still not quite there yet but this is the best brew I’ve made from these beans yet. The water still didn’t completely drain in the recommended time, so I’ll try increasing to #39 and #40 while keeping these ratios, and adjust to the lightest single-pour for stage 2 if needs be.

Edit: update - I tried #40 but interestingly the brew still didn’t drain in 3:30 with 2 second stage pours. It took closer to 4mins. I didn’t love the taste. Will try keeping it and doing the lightest pour next.

Quick question: the timings given on the site for second stage pours are only for the strongest 3x setting and are as follows:

1:30 / 2:15 / 3:30

If I’m pouring twice, would I split the total time (120s) equally into two - so allow 60s for each pour? That’s what I did above. Also, if the brew hasn’t finished draining by 3:30 - should I remove it then anyway, or leave it until it does finish?

4 Likes

Tbh, I’d concentrate on how it tastes rather than the draw down times.

Embrace it. :grin:

1 Like
2 Likes

Drank too much coffee

4 Likes

How often are people cleaning their espresso machines?

I am cleaning the group head about once a month back flushing with Cafiza, cleaning the baskets etc.

But today is the first time I am descaling with citric acid since rebuilding the machine and doing it when apart. Which is probably sixth month ago now

Hi Dom,

My Sage Barista Pro prompts me to back flush & clean approx every three weeks on its display panel & I get a prompt to run a comprehensive descale @ pretty much bang on every four months.

Cafiza is what I use fer t’ flush cycle too, have done for years.

I use this for the descale cycle >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004L8V966?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Not fully sure if its suitable for all machines, but its worked fine with the Sages I’ve had. I seem to remember I used sachets of Puly which is citric acid based when I had my Gaggia.

Again from memory, the flow rate on the Gaggia would become quite poor if I didn’t descale at least twice a year & we have pretty darn soft water here in Manchester.

2 Likes

Backflush, no detergent, every day.

Backflush, with detergent, every 3 months, also involves stripand regrease of group head.

So far not needed to descale, i live in a very hard water area so use a zero filter and remineralise with bicarb.

1 Like

Thank you for that both of you, I went over the top and took the boiler out to have a look. Couldn’t see any scale at all, did a small flush after for belts and braces, but think I can leave it longer next time.

Zero water do 20% blue light discount if you decide water faff is for you.

Use bog standard Brita atm, will have to check them out

Brita doesnt remove much hardness, not much use here. Ymmv etc

Is that a lifestyle choice?

More a necessity of.