Covfaffe - the road to despair, calling at futility and disappointment

Are you replying to me or making a general comment? I didn’t say pour-overs were.

Just a general viewpoint really. I really enjoy the process of making it

it depends on how much time you have on your hands. I find it requires too much concentration, and i get distracted too easily.

Stop wearing loud shoes then

2 Likes

“What’s that on the floor ? Fuck !!!”

3 Likes

You need to practice under more extreme conditions. I’ve found that a kitchen full of piss taking cunts at Lopwell sharpens the mind quite nicely. :grin:

10 Likes

Who would be that cruel? :thinking:

I has beans.

4 Likes

You’d think so, right?! But I think I’m with @AmDismal on this one. I don’t think I’ve ever even had an “acceptable” coffee from a cafetière. They are just not fit for purpose.

Are there any beans from Venezuela?
You could probably get a sack like that for the price of a cup of coffee

I believe Venezuela may have one or two coffee bushes.

eh? I didn’t buy the sack I bought some coffee.

1 Like

Filter coffee is just water and coffee, why shouldn’t you be able to make it in a Caffetier? I think that a lot of people chuck the two ingredients in and hope for the best. I dont use one (caffetier) but the grind size needs to be really quite course and the water temp on the low side because the grounds are going to be fully immersed for a time and you need to delay the brew a bit. The hotter the water, the coarser the grind needs to be. This is where a really good grinder helps. A proper grinder will produce grounds of a more consistent size resulting in a more even extraction. All grinders produce fines (the tiny particles) but it is the percentage of these that matter and the overall ‘tightness’ of the average size. If your ginder produces boulders and dust, you will likely get an under AND over extracted brew.

The bitter tones in coffee come when the coffee is over-extracted but the point where that begins is before you have dragged out all the sweet tones. A balancing act. You want all of the sweet and less of the bitter. For Caffetier, slowing down the process helps. With pour over, using a really good grinder, this tipping point is obvious, you can really taste it. Also, once you get the feel of it and because the grind size dictates the rate at which the water falls through the coffee, you can see and adjust this for each bean (they all extract differently). You can’t do this with a caffetier. Once the coffee is brewed in a caffetier, it needs to be decanted into something else because the grinds (sludge) at the bottom will still over extract and spoil your drink.

Having pointed out some of the caffetier’s shortcomings. I still think one will produce a decent cup, providing a good grinder is used and there is an understanding of what is required with the recipe. Not everyone has these things, or cares!! I don’t use one because I don’t believe you can make amazing coffee with it, which is a different thing. Adam is right, it doesnt filter as well as pour over and produces a dirtier/cloudier drink.

All roads lead to pour over if you want to get the best out of your beans. I have a friend that makes pour over by chucking an indeterminate amount of over roasted and pre-ground coffee in a v60, filling it up with boiling water twice to make the worst drink imaginable. It is fucking shit! If that was my only experience of pour over, I might have the opinion that it wasn’t fit for purpose.

7 Likes

That is a very interesting observation on it. Of course, makes total sense.

You mean I’m doing it wrong? :weary:

3 Likes

Knowing you, I doubt you would be doing it wrong for long! :grin:

I’m seeing this said a lot, and I can tell there’s a whole world I haven’t experienced. My perception of “pour-over” is probably seriously coloured by shitty drip coffee and cafetières etc, so I’d be interested to have my prejudices realigned. I have a nice old Gaggia espresso machine and a pretty decent (to me, anyway) Gaggia grinder, and to my palate, what I get from the set-up is very good indeed. It’s only occasionally I’ll be served something that I enjoy more, in a coffee-shop. But this new world of pour-over, I have yet to experience.

Embrace faff.

2 Likes

Takes a long time on this thread :grin:

1 Like

I dont think filter coffee should be compared to espresso. I love espresso but can’t afford the equipment to make it how i would want to. You can get the equipment for pour over relatively cheaply and once you have mastered the basics make coffee as good, if not better than anywhere out there. Especially as pour over is quite scarce and unavailable in all but the most expensive cafés.

Espresso is all about punch and power, pour over is the total opposite. Lighter roasts, delicate flavours. There are a bewildering amount of amazing coffees to try, which is the real joy and most of them you can order on-line and get them delivered.

1 Like

Trying to post whilst traveling 60 miles to work with car/train/tube/walk means gaps!

1 Like