Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

Well you can currently more than double your money if you think England can avoid defeat here.

Same old, same old.:anguished:

Haven’t registered Karun Nair’s name before, but triple centuries are unforgettable. :thumbsup:

I think India have been marvelous in this series, they are a very good team. Apart from the first match they have shown no weakness whatsoever.

1 Like

759-7dec is a hell of a total. I haven’t seen enough of the commentary to know if it’s poor bowling on our part of exemplary batting on theirs, but that’s a brutal total.

After a cyclone, the pitch is there for the taking. By one side, anyway.

We’re fucked

India superb. The main difference between the 2 sides imv has been the spinners. Jadeja and Ashwin can bowl tight for hours where as Moeen and Rashid never created enough pressure, a poor ball was never too far away.

England also need to learn to play over 5 days again. Test matches here last 4 days if that. England are very good at beating sides in favourable conditions but can’t play attritional cricket any more when a game demands it and conditions don’t suit, either with the bat or the ball. India have looked a more balanced team throughout the series too… Still, England have a promising group of players, a change of captain may pay dividends. This could be a good thing for them in the long run.

India though… Wow! This last win has been superb. To concede 477 and then score 700 odd and bowl England out to win by an innings is a fantastic performance. They are really tough. They put their foot on Englands throat and kept on treading. A lot of this must be down to Kohli. I hope Root has been watching.

Disappointed with Root today. We have some talented players but they need to apply themselves.

Hopefully captaincy will be the making of Joe, he has such ability.

O.D.I.- 65 from 70 required.

With India at 63-4 Eng looked easily in front, but a double century partnership changed all that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38376729

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38554063

Anyone other than Root likely to replace him?

No

Typical of England: make the best batsman the captain.

Very few to choose from. I suppose Bairstow would be the only other candidate. Anderson & Broad are near the end of their careers and not really captaincy material IMO and nobody else is really guaranteed their place.

This is true, however, he is a fantastically capable and combative cricketer who will hopefully bring some of that to his captaincy. I would be surprised if he is as cautious as Cook, whose captaincy sometimes seemed at odds with how the team plays. Cook is a magnificent opening bat though, I really hope he carries on for quite some time yet.

1 Like

Agreed. Hope Cookie stays on batting.

Root has the potential to be a great captain, he always wants to make things happen and not afraid to get up the noses of the opposition. Just got to hope it doesn’t weaken his batting.

Cook has a great chance to eclipse even Tendulkar’s record. Opening the batting after a couple of hard day’s captaincy in the field is so tough.

Recalibrating the art of the possible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38904731

2 Likes

That’s just extraordinary. Wish I’d been there to see that. I bet the crowd were going nuts!

Root gets the nod!