Cricket, lovely cricket (Part 1)

Come on Cooky !!!

1 Like

According to the Guardian, if Cook scores 20 he finishes with 12.345 runs. If he scores 50 his average will be 45.00.

Frankly, I was surprised that his average is below 45 now.

To be fair, itā€™s not a bad average for an opener. Of the more prolific England openers, in the modern era, itā€™s better than Gooch, Atherton, Trescothick or Strauss (all are in the top 17 of the highest scoring openers in test cricket)

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t criticising :innocent:. IIRC his average was close to 50 for a very long while. If you average 40+ after a decent number of tests you are a very good batsman. To average 45 while opening the batting is very, very good. (Particularly true for Cook who often played in quite weak England teams).

1 Like

Does this mean I canā€™t compare him with a player from a hundred years ago that I have never seen? :confused:

1 Like

:grin:

Both reviews gone for India :laughing:

Pathetic judgement.

Jenning knows where his off stump isā€¦

Two feet behind the other two.

Another Jennings leave :roll_eyes:

Heā€™s just not good enough at this level. We have to find 2 openers for the Winter and hope they get scores and with them some confidence, otherwise it will be carnage against Oz next summer.

Lol, Moeen sweeps for 4 and Kohli follows the ball - again.

1 Like

Passed that milestone now :slightly_smiling_face:

That last on-drive was classic Cook, forced the bad ball through denial and then puts it away. Iā€™m going to miss how he makes bowlers weep.

1 Like

Sadly, I think that breed is close to extinction in World cricket, not just English cricket.

Dravid was a master at it.

1 Like

That flew!

1 Like

That turned a long way

It did and if you were charitable to Kohli, you could say that putting the guy out on the sweep, forced Moeen to try and play it straighter. Nahā€¦ He was just following the ball. :grin:

1 Like

What are the odds that Kohli takes Jadeja off because he went for a few in that over?

Thereā€™s Cookā€™s hundred!

I hoping he leaves Jadeja on, Im really enjoying the cricket. Interesting stage of the gameā€¦