DIY Audio General - stuff you're making, tips, advice sought, etc

There really isn’t. If only you knew what lead free solder looks like.

I do, horrible stuff. Still use the illegal brew.

I use leaded for the tricky stuff. But I generally use the lead free stuff sold by Rapid for most stuff. It’s the least shit of a bad lot. The joints with unleaded never look great but I am careful about checking them.

Driver stages tested and mounted. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

56 posts were split to a new topic: Ant’s speaker wrangling

Nice work Pete. Those cases have a touch of Boulder about them.

Preliminary budget approval has been given for a Modushop order prior to international pariah status. This is partly to have an amp for playing CBeebies radio through for KettleJnr1 (iSpy Detective has stereo effects, don’t you know) but while we are at it we might as well do some other stuff. So…

I’m pondering building a pre to replace the World Designs Pre3, as I expect the trafos will have been built to a price given a cost at the time of 300 quid kncluding the enclosure. Been faffing about on LTSpice, and a 6SN7 at 9mA/170V B+ into a Sowter 1367 (10:1+1) gives 12dB gain into a balanced inpedance of 24k*2. I reckon output impedance would be around 440 ohms.

Any reason why this wouldn’t be a good idea?

Finally making some headway on the SIT. It’s actually playing some music now.

Was having some issues with oscillation which left me scratching my head for a few days. Today I realised my cock up and lo and behold, all seems good. Now to soak test to see if it catches fire… :grimacing:

About 70kg between three chassis for an 8W amp. :rofl:

34 Likes

Needs bigger caps…

2 Likes

Less than 10kg/watt - you’re slipping! :grinning:

7 Likes

He’ll be quoting PMPO power, fear not!

It’s a whopper! Just as well F.O.L 2 dropped off your new clips

1 Like

Brilliant, each onebigger than an engine block :grin:

They drove my LVs very nicely

4 Likes

Operation “Put all hifi into Modushop cases” part 7: SUT. With a tag board for easier wiring and loading, with the option of faffing with Zobels on the output if necessary (Sowter 8055s need them according to some, but I don’t really have the equipment to check).

5 Likes

Pleased with myself a quick job this morning I have replaced the very noisy fan on my bass amp (behringer Inuke) with a silent F8 artic fan that actually did exactly what it said on the tin - Even with my ear to the unit I cannot hear the new fan kick in. Somewhat amazed because the stock fan was annoyingly noisy. Just to be safe I also added a heatsink atop each of the power chips. More than 15db reduction achieved.

![IMG_20190916_091319|375x500]

12 Likes

Cbeebies radio has a programme called iSpy which uses stereo as part of it (i.e. directional clues). This means that KettleJnr1 obviously needs something to play it through…

As usual it is KMTech gainclone bits packed with a finest parts bin selection to go in a MiniDissipante with Speakon and PowerCon connectors on the basis that not being able to be pulled out is more important than any foo considerations.

Coupling caps not in yet as I don’t have any suitable 1uF kicking around. Might use that as an excuse for a HFC order, or could just use 0.68s as I doubt the range from 7-10Hz will be that useful.

3 Likes

Does anybody have a copy of this or know if it is worth a read?

I have finally got around to making a rough test 4’ x 2’ acoustic panel from 50mm Rockwool for my very lively room. Just adding one panel plus a rug and and mattress to the room has made the sound more relaxing. I now need to find some more wood and fabric covering to make lots more of them

I got fabric from Ikea for mine

1 Like