DIY drain rodding

Is this an old drain ? I thought that tight bends had had to have an access point for quite a while now (building control) for precisely this reason.

VB

I suspect it is. Perhaps even as old as the house (1902).

The access point might be the street side

Have you tried any chemical drain unblockers?

Tried caustic soda a few times. Results have been meh.

Dynorod are fairly good.

When DIY drain rodding goes horribly wrong . . .

1 Like

Sulfuric acid is what you need.

Thatā€™ll get rid of those pesky bones :+1:

Donā€™t. And I repeatā€¦ Dont ever use caustic fucking soda in drains.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone has offered as a few postsā€¦

I have a drain rod on a reel. You stick it in and push. Welcome to use it.

OK sensei, but it would be useful if you exapanded on why seeing as nearly all commercial drain cleaners are based on this.

My experience at work is NEVER, EVER use Lanes For Drains :unamused:

Caustic soda is useless and dangerous. It lies in the pipework solidifying the shite.

If you have a blockage in the sewer pipework the only way is to rod. If you canā€™t rod yourself then get someone in.

1 Like

Caustic soda is great for dissolving fat.

Actually thatā€™s how soap used to be made.

Can also confirm this. Mum in law told us to try it - it formed what looked like ice in the bottom of the u bend under the sink and I was able to dig it out after some persuasion.

Sulphuric acid in the form of a product called ā€œOne Shotā€ - that also did not resolve our soapā€™berg issue and I used an entire bottle over the course of a day trying to shift the blockage.

Dynorod = good.

If you canā€™t get round the tight bend from one direction, can you not lift a manhole and get from other direction?

Mebbe. I think the nearest manhole is at about 5m from the kitchen sink drain. Iā€™ll have to investgate as I havenā€™t got a clue. In fact itā€™s hard to imagine how I even function as an adult on a day-to-day basis sometimes.

4 Likes

What are you rodding it from now?

Hang on a minute - 38 posts in, are you trying to rod the gully ?

VB

1 Like

Are you sure it is the underground pipework that is blocked and not the inch and a half waste or even the trap that is bunged?

1 Like