DIY question - sticky stuff

Can someone recommend some super strength and wide double sided adhesive tape.

I need to re-cover with sisal rope, a 6 foot scratching/climbing post. My usual tactic is to use the hot glue gun, which works well, but I always end up burning myself on hot glue.

An alternative would be to use some like “Sticks like shit” - but it gets very messy.

So I wonder if there is any super strength double sided tape, thin foam or similar that might stick a wound sisal rope to a plastic pipe…

Best tapes that i have used are by 3M, alternatively a good contact adhesive but can get messy.

Double-sided tape comes in two sorts - thin and thick. The thick sort, which has an off-white compressible foam core, can be very sticky. You see it used for sticking cable-tie pads onto surfaces and it’s not unusual for the foam core to tear before the glue lets go of the surface. That said, the foam core isn’t super-strong.

I’d second the recommendation for 3M tapes. They cost more and you get what you pay for.

VB

I am happy to spend, to avoid mess and burns…

Make it part of some sort of role play scenario? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This stuff is very good BUT you must clean both surfaces very well - a lot of plastics have a very thin layer of mould release agent (silicone) on, which will prevent adhesion. Clean thoroughly with kitchen roll or cloth and something like Coleman fuel (clean heptane, no oil in it) before using. Having done this, the rear number plate on my car is now firmly bonded (after falling off a few times before I cleaned properly). Allow a couple of days for the tape to cure before cat attack.

2 Likes

Gorilla tape

1 Like

Yes worth remembering to clean with meths which does not stop adhesion Like white spirit does

1 Like

now my neighbour has seen my pole - she just knocked on the door asking how to make one…

So, innuendo, where shall we start …

VB

2 Likes

I’d suggest axle grease but it does lower the thrust pleasure.

1 Like