Doggos

Cooper likes his present from Grandma and Grandad very much.

14 Likes

Buddy has had some watery discharge from his left eye the last couple of days and hasnā€™t been fully retracting his inner eyelid.

As it wasnā€™t getting better I took advantage of the free video consultation with a vet under my Petwise plan. The video vet didnā€™t like the look of it and said I had to get him to a vet today so I booked him in with the emergency vet.

I just found out that he has a corneal ulcer and I have to give him antibiotic eye drops twice a day and a corneal repair gel twice a day. Thatā€™s going to be a challenge.

My wallet is Ā£200 lighter and Iā€™ve to take him for a check up at his regular vet on Friday to see how he is healing. Ouch.

Iā€™m a nervous wreck about the whole thing as his eyesight in that eye is at risk. Has anyone been through similar and able to offer encouragement or advice?

9 Likes

Archie needing his doggy chair if he walks to fadarcey hitching a ride

5 Likes

I feel for you and so does everyone with a dog who has been there and worried senseless. Stay strong, keep giving him the drops and weā€™ll keep our fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Wow, Iā€™m in shock :slightly_frowning_face:

He was on such good form on Christmas Eve, didnā€™t notice a thing.

Iā€™ve used salami for antibiotics, tear off a bit and squash it around the pill, gone in less than a second. Good luck with the eyedrops, not easy but a good deal easier than trying to administer to a cat!!

Get well soon Buddy!

3 Likes

Daughter (apprentice vet nurse, 2 years in) reckons they are pretty common and usually clear up OK with treatment, though some dogs seem to get them regularly.

5 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll keep the thread updated.

Yes he was. Oddly enough it doesnā€™t seem to be bothering him too much. Apparently some dogs find the condition excruciatingly painful and canā€™t open their eye.

Thatā€™s very reassuring. Thank you.

2 Likes

Walking Rosie and Cooper late yesterday afternoon.

3 Likes

A wee update on Buddyā€™s eye. I took him to the vet today for a check on progress. The vet was lovely and very reassuring. His eye is healing nicely and thereā€™s no reason to think he wonā€™t make a full recovery.

Iā€™ve been given a different antibiotic eyedrop and more of the repair gel so the eyedrop regime continues for another week. Heā€™s to go back next Friday by which time the hope is that the ulcer ought to be gone. So good news all round.

15 Likes

I forgot to say - the vet relaxed and befriended Buddy by giving him some of this liver paste as a treat prior to giving him the flourescent eyedrops so she could see the ulcer.

He absolutely loved it so I bought a couple of tubes. I thought it might be of interest to some of you. I had no idea it existed.

2 Likes

Itā€™s good for training, so long as you only use a smear for just a taste. Itā€™s the smell that will get your dog to do stuff which you can then label.

not sure what you mean?

As in give the action your dog has done a word to label it (consistently)

So for example if you use a small smear on your hand to guide Buddy to lie down, the moment he is lying down you let him lick the paste and say ā€˜lieā€™ (you can say lie down but that is two words which is harder for a dog, and down is commonly a different command). Try this 4 or 5 times before you then try to use the label as a command (ie donā€™t use the treat to lead him, just issue the command and see if he now knows that this means ā€˜if I lay down he will give me a treatā€™.

If Buddy doesnā€™t do it then it means more practice as above, and then try again with just the command.

Does that example make sense of the difference between label and command?

1 Like

Thanks for that. Good to know. I might start using treats to train Buddy. Heā€™s a good boy. Deserves a treat.

Itā€™s also quite useful to double up a command with a visual cue. Dogs watch us very very carefully to read what might happen so they are much more adept at picking up movements that have meaning. For example a lot of people use a closed fist to their chest to mean ā€˜sitā€™ etc. I know a lot of dogs where you can do a routine, a sequence of 10 commands without saying a word.

1 Like

Around the father in laws today. Meet Zeus. I love him.

15 Likes

This is Zeus trying to make eye contact with the Father in laws brother who is blind.

11 Likes

Third (and last) walk of the day at sunset. Itā€™s been a lovely crisp start to the year.

Sun setting
Imgur

Maddie
Imgur

Hildur
Imgur

Moon rising
Imgur

20 Likes

Superfly :grinning:

16 Likes

We had Basil to the vets today. Over the past few months heā€™s collapsed 3 times while on a walk, each time heā€™s back up and running within 15 minutes and this week I took a video of the episode to show the vet.

First pass diagnosis is an episodic nervous system disorder. Full blood test as a fishing expedition, just to rule out a number of other options.

Heā€™s absolutely fine either side of event but lots of worries for us.

Here he is in his natural environment.

16 Likes