Downsizing - what to do with Classical Vinyl?

Any serious advice gratefully received. We are downsizing and moving house. I have been clearing a load of vinyl - however have numerous box sets of classical vinyl. Contacted the We buy Classical vinyl people (oh really?) who never return calls.

Any suggestions - ideally would like to clear the lot in a job lot? I can’t face individual listings on e bay. . . .

Like selling most things, the financial compensation you get will be proportional to the amount of effort you want to put in.

As you don’t want to go to much effort, advertise and sell them cheaply as a job lot and that’s that.

2 Likes

Tony at PFM?

Approximately how many is “numerous” ?

Two questions

1. Roughly where are you
  2. Roughly how many LPs/Box Set are we talking about.

Thanks for suggestions chaps - all make sense.
Maybe numerous was a tad exaggeration! However, I am near Bury St Edmuns and there are approx 50 odd lp’s and 50 odd box sets - operas etc - some Deutsche :grinning::grinning:and Decca/ EMI - I have pictures of spines as they sit on shelves - could e mail anyone interested or post here when I am back in office?

This is a good and personally relevant question. I’m not ditching vinyl anytime soon but I inherited a shit-load of classical vinyl from my Dad, very nice but I’ll never play it all. If I could find a good home for some of it that would be nice.

The only way it’s worth more than fuck all is if you sell each item individually. Otherwise you’ll struggle to get more than 50p per record.

Scan the barcodes on Discogs and have a look at the values.

Won’t have barcodes.

Cat number then
Discogs gives a low median and high price. Good guide.

Classical is all about first pressings - If there is a bar code (unless we’re talking about a handful of collectable Philips digital recordings) We are not talking first pressings. If anyone has questions on this I’m happy to help (Outside of restoring Garrard’s this is what I do) I made a particularly nerdy, poor and cringe worthy film (incorrect in parts) skimming the subject 8 or 9 years ago here

Please note 1st Stereo issues are rare and even if you have one, condition is paramount.

…That should be enough to see all records dropped off at the nearest charity shop.

10 Likes

The CD could have been invented for classical music, it is the perfect medium.One symphony on a disc. Most serious classical fans use CD.
I am aware that some classical records are worth a bit, but the majority of collections are worth about as much as the non collectors record collection, full of all the popular but worthless stuff.

The thing with Stereo 1st pressings is that in order to have initially purchased them you would have needed the ability to play them (Starting 1957-58ish). Whilst the record companies were ploughing vasts sums of money and expertise on the ‘new’ STEREO format comparatively few people went to the expense of doubling up on amps and speakers, getting the right cart etc etc. The first adopters who did would have required a reasonable level of disposable income. Classical recordings from the major labels were the first STEREO pressings (The labels knew where the money was) MONO issues in the early stages were pressed in far higher numbers

A more extreme example (Even the MONO is rare)
Mono: LEONID KOGAN / LALO - TCHAIKOVSKY / COLUMBIA 33CX 1683 in NM worth £600

STEREO: “” “” “” is worth in NM condition £6000+

2 Likes

I have half a dozen mint copies of the stereo version - who’d have thought it!

1 Like

Not me.

Thanks for all comments - minefield - some really are as collectable as Pop stuff and have discovered its the labels that are important re collecting value.

Anyways - just to report in I have a buyer for the lot to assist our migration from a bloody big house to a. . . wait for it. . . tree house. :scream:

2 Likes

Uhh, how is Mrs Millicent going to cope with a rope ladder?

Grabs rope with teeth and swings over - we have been practising.

1 Like

Photos required of the Tree House please. I presume it makes this look like a shed: