eBay stuff (Part 1)

Class A doesn’t really mean much, its no guarantee of good sound, just heat.

The Pass amp I had a Jims, not quite a clone, just based on the Aleph circuit (its only 15w), is quite unique in being single ended as well.

If you want an Aleph find or build one :smiley:

2 Likes

Get to straight to Emporium (and at the same time find a good local electronics repair man!)

2 Likes

There would be no survivors.

2 Likes

$19,757.85 today.

1 Like

If you want an MF amp make sure it is powerful enough.
Luckily they made a system diagnostic slide rule to help with the calculation.

I still have one somewhere :grinning:

1 Like

I’m all for Class A solid state. I’ve got a listening room full of the stuff. I don’t think MF sounds particularly great and it had a reputation for being unreliable.

1 Like

Fwiw I have heard the A1000 a few times and it is quite good. I think @coco was using one for a while with his GRFs.
That is all some years ago now.

Never used an A1000 with the Tannoys, but I did borrow one back in the 90’s. It’s a veyr nice amp, but runs hot, so make sure it’s in top nick.

I wouldn’t buy it at that price, IIRC, they were £1095 new at the time!

You can buy clone boards eBay and make one, or get someone to make one for 1/4 of the cost.

3 Likes

That only goes up to 1000W. That’s no flipping good to me…

I think that comprehensively bins that idea.

I like the Nagra that Emporium have because it is shiny. But it also looks wilfully awkward to use.

Far worse than that. Actively obstructive!

2 Likes

Do this. I reckon that @edd9000 will jump at the idea of using heat sinks like these…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

He may well hit the ceiling when he sees the price of those.

I bought an A1 in early 1989 it broke after 3 months. I was issued with a replacement. That broke too so I gave up on MF and picked up a NAD3240PE as a stopgap. My brother in law still uses that in Melbourne today.

It’s fine when I’m not buying :grin:

1 Like

What is it with the price of heatsinks ? They’re just aluminium extrusions, chopped into lengths and black-anodised, no ?

VB

2 Likes

£35 for a 20cm length. Not too bad. I think six would give the right look.

It’s a lot when you could just buy a massive case off modushop with 250mm heatsinks.

https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&path=111&product_id=237

Or buy really cool boxes for not much more.

1 Like

Or the Krell version: