Eclipse Watch - Shetland style

Could be a partial view for our friend in the far North… @pmac could get to see the Eclipse low on the horizon around 8pm…

Time to find a cardboard box and a sheet of paper!

I’m in Canada on hols, we’ll see a 65% eclipse about 3pm today

3 Likes

Here in the US it’s hard to buy glasses now. The shops and online outlets have essentially run out.

We were just talking to a guy who’s driven up from Nashville this morning and it seems the interstates inside the totality zone are pretty clear. But I fear these people http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2017/08/21/traffic-crawling-interstate-65-kentucky-hours-before-eclipse/585218001/ may have left it too late (we came down I65 on Saturday, when it was fine).

VB

1 Like

Reckon there’ll be a lot of Trump supporters looking at it through beer bottles, sunglasses & telescopes as it tracks its way across the country.

3 Likes

Delete as appropriate.

2 Likes

There’s a respectable bite taken out of the sun here now. We’ve got occasional puffy clouds. Whether we happen to get a chunk in our line of sight at the critical moment is hit and miss. But I saw the 1999 one in Devon in solid thick cloud and totality was still A Very Big Deal.

VB

Indeed. I’ll be looking but not very hopeful. Variable cloud cover atm and as it’s only going to be around 4% I’m not holding my breath.

But you never know it may clear. I expect with the sun being so low on the horizon it might be a bit easier to see?

1 Like

Wow ! Clearest of skies. Just the strangest of lights. Full corona. 360 degree sunset on the horizon.

Couldn’t have been better :grin::grin::grin: !

VB

12 Likes

Hmm, now there’s a solid blanket of dark cloud looking West. Nothing to see here, move along. :disappointed:

1 Like

Meh, pictures or it didn’t happen…

Did you not get any snaps?

To be honest, I didn’t. The general advice was that without a fair deal of effort no snap of the blacked out sun taken by an amateur (and I’m not even that) would be as good as the professionals’ ones.

What would be good would be pics of the observers (us) getting ever more wide-eyed. My brother and his wife took loads of these, and also got other folks to take us all in a group. But as soon as the show was over they had to dash for the interstate to get home to Columbus OH (a 360 mile drive) as the kids were due back in school the next day and my other brother had to catch a plane back to England. It didn’t go well. They were in the car by 14:15. They got home at 03:45 the next day. We stayed on in White House TN and drove the same journey the day after and that took us nearly 5 hours less, despite getting completely lost in the chaos which is Cincinnati’s bust road system.

We’re meeting up today and I should get to see their pics. If any are suitably striking or embarrassing I’ll post one or two. But totality was very short and to be frank we spent it ‘in the moment’, just soaking up the weirdness.

VB

Disappointing. I would’ve expected at least a selfie with the eclipsed sun in the background.

But really. Good for you for being there in the moment. Even under some thin cloud in 1999 it was a spectacular experience. I must try & get in the path of the European one in the 2020’s.

My bro has the ‘me and the sun’ selfie. It worked OK actually. But in TN the sun was nearly overhead so it’s hard to avoid getting the view up someone’s nose alongside it.

VB

I enjoyed the Eclipse here very much. We went en-mass and camped just outside Newquay, all in our mid to late 20’s with no kids, big group. One of my favourite holidays when I look back, made so memorable by the Eclipse.

We watched from the cliff tops above Watergate bay, the cloud cover broke for a few seconds, just long enough for us to see some Corona (to a huge cheer from the thousands along the cliffs), and again for a glimpse of Baileys’ beads. I feel emotional when I remember watching in stunned awe as the shadow raced across the water towards us. A herd of cows in the next field were audibly freaked out by it. The sheer speed, and the other-worldliness of the whole thing, it was huge and dramatic. Much more so than I expected.

Would love to see any pics you have. If anyone reading this has never experienced a total Eclipse, save up, travel, go and watch. It’s something you’ll never forget.

3 Likes

I’d recommend it too. The first thing to say is that it is utterly different from a partial eclipse, no matter how complete the partial one is. The second is that even if the cloud never breaks it is still very dramatic indeed, and in some ways weirder than a clear-sky experience since you’re not constantly reminded during the run-up what’s coming. The third is that you’ll be very lucky indeed to get away by car quickly afterwards.

VB

1 Like

Missed the eclipse?

Simply recreate the feeling by contacting @FatCuntTroller and walking behind him.

Not sure his shadow will approach you at anywhere near the same speed as the moons mind you. :slight_smile:

Maybe in his younger days.

2 Likes

Some people are just fucking stupid.

4 Likes

Trudat

Well, it’s nearly four years on but we’ve had another one!

The cloud was a mixed blessing, at least it allowed me to get a few pics without having to resort to filters that I don’t have anyway :smiley:

Partial Eclipse 02 10 06 21 by Paul Macklam, on Flickr

13 Likes