EleKit 300B Kit Amp

I became intrigued by this amp when I saw Herb Reicherts review on Stereophile.

Herb knows a thing or two about 300B SET amps and ran Audionote in the USA for many years.

I ordered the kit from HiFi Collective and it arrived 2 days later. I went for the upgraded volume pot, upgraded resistors and the Lundahl O/P transformers. I also went for Jupiter caps for coupling duties. The amp is a bit different from ‘normal’ 300B kits. It has a large PCB, uses some 80 resistors and 40 caps. It has an extra winding on the OP Tx and uses some feedback. The output is rated at 9.2 watts which is good for a 300B SET amp.

The kit includes everything except for the valves which you supply, giving you choice. You get the manual emailed to you. The manual is a model of clarity and reminds me of Tamiya scal model kits.

Here are the parts

Here is the build

The build was straightforward but a bit arduous with so many components. Also the upgraded resistors were somewhat larger than the originals and required some care to avoid any shorting. Build time was 8 hours over a period of 4 days. Everything just falls into place, I did not have to drill, file or fettle. Just perfect Japanese engineering.

Here is the final result

Switch on was uneventful, the amp is silent at the speakers and within itself. Initially the sound was a bit shrill but it settled within a few hours. Now a few weeks later I’m pretty sure it is fully run in. It sounds wonderful, I think it is the best 300B amp I have owned. I have previously had a Kondo Kassai and ANUK Conquests. It is has the usual 300B SET attributes of space, image and tone but it also boogies. Loving it.

The whole package with the upgrade bits was £2000 ( not including valves) which I think is a bargain for a 300B bit especially when you look at ANKits and AN finished product.

32 Likes

Looks great.
What 300B valves are supplied?

They don’t supply valves with the kit. Luckily I had four unused Golden Dragons in stock. There is one ECC83 and two ECC82s, again I had them in stock.

Ah

Thought that meant the valves too.
Plenty of scope for upgrading then :grin:

Fair point, I have revised the text. Will no doubt try some rolling at some point but really don’t feel the need right now.

Work colleague built one which he uses with my old LV Avatars to great effect.

Very nice, congrats :ok_hand:

Congratulations, looks great.
Very satisfying to use something you had a hand in building.

1 Like

Thanks, tried a few kits over the years most have been average the two best have been this 300B and the ANK kits phonostage.