Energy chat

Now 1.89.9…

:eyes:

Sainsburys in my neck of the woods (north of Oxford) was selling unleaded for 1.589 today.
Seems quite reasonable judging by posts in this thread.

4 Likes

Tesco diesel was 1.59.9 the same day…

1 Like

Well this thread is interesting. @htm_1968 thoughts?

Just found out, that from April, my combined Gas and Electricity payment will go up by ÂŁ125/mth.

Dread to think what will happen in October :grimacing:

It makes logical sense to me. If a little simplistic. However, if his assessment is even close to accurate, everybody should be very angry.

Mines been ÂŁ118 since January.

Same with the petrol firms. Exxon, BP etc making huge profits

She spent a decade trading energy futures so I suspect she probably knows a thing or two. Murphy has form for… unique… takes on economics as well.

And with what is going on generally, this may have been quite a good move. Yes, there is obviously some risk of nothing actually happening but they have one project already up and running.

Her second sentence is the issue. Her industry has converted an ‘if’ (future) into ‘higher prices’ (now). Convenient when they no-doubt get paid as a result of the value of the trades. If the price went down the same way I’d have some sympathy but it never does. According to their precious economics, the higher price would now translate to higher production and a subsequent drop in price. But since oil and gas are handled by cartel, they’ll rub their hands and profit gouge us.

They should shut down the gamblers when there is a war. All they do is massively compound the effect in an effort to maximise their gain. I’d love to see how much profit Goldman, JP Morgan etc have made on their oil and gas trading desks since the war started.

Yes, because in the event of them not delivering the service you pay for, you’ll be here in this very thread complaining that you don’t have any utilities and that ‘people didn’t plan properly.’

And do what exactly? Are you advocating a centrally planned economy or something else?

No, just fix the prices until reality becomes clear. So far all they’ve done is massively compound the hardship everyone feels by making prices go up because they ‘think’ (maybe validly) that supply may reduce a bit in the future. They are quite happy to shut the markets when everything tanks so they dont get a haircut, in this case, shut the markets so they don’t force prices up unnecessarily. They are literally forcing people to starve and freeze because of their desperation to make some more profit.

You’re going to have to break this down for me.

Just us (the UK) or the whole world? At what level do we fix the price?

‘A bit’ in this instance being ‘A fucking lot’ in terms of European (nb not UK to the same extent) reliance on Russian gas in the here and now.

Who is ‘they’ and which markets have been shut?

We’ve seen what happens when a supplier (Bulb) fucks their futures up. It’s differently damaging for people but no less painful (the much higher standing rate charges we are facing are the dispersed costs of the failed providers).

For what it’s worth, I’m not wholly convinced by private utilities but neither am I convinced that randomly trying to jam a spanner in it will be better. I also have found Murphy to grossly oversimplify his arguments and view everything through the prism of state intervention; often in terms as simple as ‘just print more money.’ He mixed a large dose of- almost entirely wrong- Covid alarmism in for good measure too.

1 Like

I’m not convinced that huge state intervention is a good thing right now - doing that as a time of real stress is not ideal. But a simple mechanism of a windfall tax on profits and redistribution via a fixed bill reduction might make sense. Basically, convert dividends to reduce bills, just for one year.

1 Like
3 Likes

the Dow and FTSE and other markets have been shut as has trading on specific stocks when it’s been deemed necessary. So a temporary stop on futures trading of particular commodities (oil, gas etc) could be done leaving values fixed for a short period.

My irritation is that a very small group of people (oil and gas futures traders) is causing very immediate and real harm to millions if not billions of people to try and make a fast buck. It’s justified by the plausible sounding argument that europes major gas supplier is at war. But they don’t really give a fuck about that. A big tax on profits sounds great but it won’t stop granny freezing to death this winter as her gas price quadruples

Can’t see this happening in the UK

3 Likes