Energy chat

Can’t help wondering whether the bits of Australia with mineral resources and lots of solar/wind also have an abundance of water to split hydrogen from.

1 Like

The retrofit downstairs and uptairs ufh was switched on last week. We are still using an oil boiler at the moment. It’s been lovely and warm. It was 26C one day and the builders had to turn it down. I don’t know about running costs yet. I put it on frost mode over thew weekend.

The trick is to manage the flow temp going through the underfloor circuits.

There will be a blending valve on the manifold or thereabouts. Each installation is different but you are generally trying to keep it is low as poss to avoid overshoot but still the ability to maintain the desired room temp.

1 Like

Yes. Wundatherm mentioned that when they supplied it. We’ve fitted heatmiser, so hopefully control will be good.

Heatmiser are one of the best in the business.

Hahahahaha

1 Like

Just imagine people geeking out that much over eco tech data, who would do that?

Anyway, just had our bill for January with the heat pump running, and at the latest Octopus Go rates the cost would be a bit under £134 including £16 on car charging.

Total electricity usage of 794.2kWh, the equivalent last year had 1518kWh just of gas.

6 Likes

Is yours air-to-air or air-to-water?

Air to water using the radiators that were there from the existing boiler that was replaced. Having had one set of air pipes put in for the MVHR setup we were not doing that again…

…but I thought that normal rads don’t work properly with heat pumps because of the lower temperature water. Bigger rads with a much larger radiating area should be used.
Our rads are huge…

It depends what heat output you need given the heat losses and what temperature you run at. Our installer did the calcs and worked out that we would be fine with a 50C operating temperature.

This is how the flow temperatures worked yesterday with an overnight kick up of temperature during the Go period.

1 Like

The quote I got for the old place was air-to-air, but it didn’t have any air pipes - just outside compressors connected to interior wall mounted air-handling units with refrigerant pipes, similar to split air-con systems.

Our central heating Hive thermostat has, over the last couple of weeks, started to randomly turn the boiler on and heat the house - not good when you’re out…

This occurs when the stat is set to off, on timer or in manual mode.

Very strange, for 3 years its been fine and reliable.

Hive support is a shower of shit so im thinking about replacing it because I cba to fuck around with it anymore

Are Nest 'stats any good?
Are there any other smart / app controlled systems that people here can recommend?
Reliability is key.

Cheers
G

Ours did stat to randomly turn the heating on in the middle of the night. Seems to have stopped now.

Recently?

I turned ours off at 1.30am last night after the fucker woke me up.

Aye, just the other week when parents in law were here.

Keep meaning to wake up in the middle of the night and check it again, but never seem to.

I’ve had a Nest thermostat for around 6 years and have been very impressed with it, schedules are easy and does the target temp timing thing well. Pretty much haven’t touched it or changed anything for a couple of years now.

I’ve got a spare one somewhere as my previous place had a dual zone boiler so I was running two of them.

My Hive is great if it can always talk to the unit by the boiler. I’ve had to move it to make sure it never loses that connection, and it’s been rock solid ever since.

I agree on their support though! If only you could access some kind of log, to understand why it’s turned the heating on, but I don’t think there’s anything available.

Ive had hive nest and now have Drayton wiser at home. Installed.all of them and more.
Nest is good but the receivers tend to die randomly.
Drayton wiser with added trvs is an excellent system and what i recommended now…
If you want more advise feel free to get in touch.

1 Like

To add you would be able to easily swop, install from hive to drayton yourself and amazon periodically sell the trvs cheaper than elsewhere…