Facebook

As a misanthrope, I positively enjoy polluting the internet with my dreary, hollow, sham of an existence, my mundane, unoriginal opinions, and my pathetic, multiply-recycled stabs at humour - I would love to think that somewhere, some poor benighted bastard was being forcibly exposed to some distillation of this utter drivel in order to impose advertising algorithms upon me - only to be blocked or casually ignored at every attempt…

6 Likes

The thing with FB, forums et al is people express an ‘idealized’ version of themselves (ego). Algorithms account for these exaggerations / presentations of ‘unreal’ The shift in value of ‘popular’ over ‘facts’ is the manipulation of emotional needs and in turn culture through humans innate desire to be accepted, desirable respected etc. The CA whistle blower says as much in the statement: ‘Shift culture to shape politics.’

Social media / forums etc allow people to curate, edit and project an idealized self (The desire for immortality through documentation). If this is the case, I guess it is better to be hung for a sheep as a lamb. Mr MWS, Ruprecht, Stronzetto in their own ways are a perversion of the above. The socially accepted belief in “Image is everything” is where the rot set in. In reality image could be defined as ‘That which is not real’.

3 Likes

So you’re saying that the versions of Maureen, Penance and Mr MWS that we experience on here are idealized compared with the real thing ?! Now I’m worried.

VB

7 Likes

The peer pressure to behave like this on the younger generation is worrying and a bit depressing.

1 Like

“Are a perversion of the above “

I have no ideal.

1 Like

Lowest expectations then I’m never disappointed.

The only thing facebook is good for is the Daily Mash.

The rest of it is shit.

2 Likes

This.

And looking up old ‘Schoolfriends’ in the pretence of hoping they’re doing well ( but secretly hoping their life is a car crash as well and they look worse than you).

And stalking.

3 Likes

I communicate with Donna wifey through it using various memes and gifs :+1:

And she posts horses/ponies.

Much entertainment.

2 Likes

Stop encouraging her :angry:

But they make such lovely pets.

Hmmmmmm…

1 Like

Can confirm 80% of your posts are desperate pleas to Donna for you to have the car she won’t let you have.

6 Likes

Has he tried asking for an RX-8?

3 Likes

Ad nauseam.

1 Like

The wife left her Facebook open. So I typed one simple word and chaos ensued.

“Fumin”

People didn’t stop asking her if she was ok for days.

14 Likes

The dogs have scarpered for how loudly I laughed at that.