Floor Phonostage

My phonestage lives on the floor under the sideboard that supports my record player.

Here it is,

It’s an Edwards audio one that cost me £99 back in 2018. Because it didn’t cost much money it doesn’t sound very good. I am therefore looking for a new phonostage that costs alot more so it will sound better.

The new phonostage must

• Fit under the sideboard - which means it can’t be more than 65mm high including feet.
  • Excel with MM carts - Options to run an MC not important, but fine if included as I may potato more in the future.
  • Cost no more than one thousand pounds, ideally £500 - £800 new or used.
  • To reiterate, I will not be able to see it - so it must be a notable sonic upgrade.

Any ideas what might fit the bill?

Ta.

oh yeah, it’ll be turned on and off with a wifi socket so access to an on/off swtich not important.

Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk

It’s brilliant.

2 Likes

Far too cheap to be any good, so feel free to ignore at will, but, I’ve been really impressed with the iFi Zen phono I bought recently.

I’ve owned a few £500+ new and used phono’s and it isn’t embarrassed in their company.

End.

It’s a very good phono stage indeed. The logical thing therefore is to suggest THIS. Sounds good with MM, has a bajillionty settings to configure just about anything, tiny and because the settings are solid state (on dips), you can turn it on and off on the mains forever. @PapaLazarou uses one with a Decca and it sounds excellent in his system.

4 Likes

Ah, OK, didn’t know that existed. Hmmm :thinking:

I like that it is battery powered, have you used / had one in the past?

Very good phono stage. I owned one once excellent VFM.

2 Likes

Yep, I still have one that I’ve been using for 4-5 years now. I’ve not been listening to much vinyl since I moved so you are welcome to borrow it if you like.

6 Likes

That would be brill, many thanks.
I could very likely drop round next weekend sat or sun morning and return the one after, if that works for you?
Will pm
Cheers

2 Likes

Vertere Phono 1 Mk11.
With 5% off first order new from Kronos AV at £950. You will notice the difference or send it back!
One of my two phono stages, the other being a full silver SJS jobbie .
SWMBO sometimes prefers the Vertere.

1 Like

There is a Clones Audio here for £400.

3 Likes

Many thanks to @hoopsontoast for letting me borrow his absolutely small F117 phono stage.
So small that it fits under the 1200.

How about that…

Will play some records to form a view. First impressions are that it is very very quiet.

15 Likes

Possibly a hifi forum first - in that I asked for advice without looking for validation of a decsion I’d already made and actually purchased one of the suggestions - albeit on the back of a home demo. Thanks again Rob - will pm to arrange a time to return yours this weekend.

Mine is on the left (sans audiophile feet), it arrived today.

Running it in listening to some Snoop Dogg.

/thread

17 Likes

WTF ! What just happened ?

Strange fellow
:thinking:

Excellent, supprised you found one so quickly! :joy:

The sorbathane feet were added mainly to just stop it moving around being so light.

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/raysamuels/f117.html

When I bought mine I had to import it from the States.
Ray was a really nice guy.

1 Like

Banning offence right there.

2 Likes

Ok

Np