FS Conrad Johnson Premier 350 SE

now I am unemployed I can’t afford the luxury of two amps so either this or the Cymer Audio SE that has to go - as the CJ has too much gain for my thomas mayer pre hence this for sale advert

its a lovely thing - glorious reviews and rare on the market

its up for £4250 but happy to negotiate and meet up to hand over for a cash offer (I have a few bills for work on the house that need settling, whilst looking for a new role or setting up something on my own)

Happy to answer questions, I have owned it for around 5 years - it looks pristine so google the reviews - if you are looking for a destination power amp for your system - this could very well be it

cheers
Darren

CJ

Here are some quotes from the Martin Colloms review:

“And now we have the Premier 350. It has that quality that has made the ART pre- amplifier so special – a sense of inner life, exuberance, commitment to performance, a powerful reach into a recording where the feeling of presence and space is more powerfully conveyed.”

I haven’t listened to it on a very wide range of material yet, obviously, but the midrange on the Pr350 has been the biggest surprise for me. Bottom line: the midrange on this amp is absolutely gorgeous. Martin Colloms once again:

“While most of the other solid state amps are ‘whiter’ sounding, leaner, even ‘harder’ and more ‘forward’ than the quoted Krell references, save those exceptional Karans, the new Premier had a mid tonal quality that was perceptibly deeper, more richly balanced and more like a classic tube sound than the accepted solid-state result. You hear greater weight and natural scale, with fuller and more explicitly resolved chords in the lower mid range, and a more natural ‘bloom’ on massed orchestral strings. The upper mid was certainly not dull by comparison. Here the ‘350 proved punchy, dynamic, ‘present’, articulate and focused.”

“I have been known to describe the broad sound of some review amplifiers as bleached or threadbare, (a terms first used across the Atlantic). Well, the sound of the ’350 is precisely the opposite. It presents a sound stage that is significantly closer to the experience of listening to live musicians. It conveys complex textures, digs deep into harmonic and chordal relationships and tells you more about the instruments themselves and how they are played. This is accompanied by genuinely high resolution, with a great sense of transparency of ambience and a rich reverberant field, anything but threadbare in fact! Stereo stages were wide and deep, with excellent focus and perspective.”

5 Likes