FS: IWC Doppelchronograph ref 3711

For sale one IWC split-second “Doppelchronograph”, 42mm in steel on a steel bracelet.

Bought new by me in 1998, serviced* in 2013. In good / very good condition, it still has the service plastic cover on the caseback.

Comes with lots of paperwork, the original black leather strap and tang buckle, and the original preposterous box. The 90s have a lot to answer for.

Also comes with two spares link for the bracelet, but no bracelet tools. The Aquatimer came with them, this didn’t. However if I’ve still got the Aquatimer one could use those tools, or the same effect can be achieved with two cocktail sticks - it’s a very simple system.

I’m asking £4k which I believe to be a good but not massive discount to Chrono24. Feel free to set me straight if I’ve got this wrong.

* the service changed the hands, so they are luminova. I can’t remember if they were tritium before, but I suspect this to be the case. Additionally the crown is now a “Probus Scafusia”. It may well have been a “fish crown” before. I’m pretty certain that the dial is the tritium original - the quarter hour markers have tarnished nicely.

3 Likes

This is all a bit depressing.

I used to be a complete watch-maniac, but then I got ill, my mother got ill and died, we had a wee pandemic and suddenly it’s 10 years later and I have zero interest :frowning_face:

15 Likes

They are just shiny lumps, albeit very nice, shiny lumps. If they no longer bring joy, unburden yourself and get some £££ back.

2 Likes

Excuse me gushing over yet-another watch I can’t afford, but £4K for this complication (often called ‘rattrapante’ or split-seconds) by a top marque is a very good price indeed, most especially because this is really collector-friendly - serviced, full-set, great condition, etc.

I’m sorry your woes have taken the edge off the hobby, I’ve been fortunate that faffing with shiny consumerist baubles is one of few things that are not drugs that distracts me from the unceasing misery and loss that one’s fifth decade seems to entail…

1 Like

In which case you are entirely right to turn them into something that you do enjoy.

1 Like

Thank you for the sentiment. I’m not sure the two are completely connected, I just got distracted by life happening to me, like it does to everybody, and when I looked at watches again they didn’t really do it for me any more.

Although TBH in one way health issues and watches were related at one point. I sold this

to pay for an operation :laughing:

3 Likes

Last chance at £3.5k before I contact a dealer next week.