FTTP question

Ah. Not working for so long means I haven’t had to think down that far for a while.

Is it Nordost? If it’s not quantum enough then you’re on sticky ground.

1 Like

The phone network will only carry phone stuff (including conventional ADSL broadband).

Effectively this will be a separate circuit and you will need to connect the termination box to the router somehow (Ethernet / CAT-5 I expect) so if you have the termination in the garage, you’re going to have to run wire to the router somehow.

The alternative is to have the termination near the router (I.e. lounge). This is probably the easiest approach.

1 Like

After all that guff I have spouted my simple question was:

Can I avoid making my in wall wiring redundant (having my fibre to the lounge wall, into the router)…

By having the fibre to my garage and wired direct to my existing in wall cable set up: keeping the advantage of network of sockets to put my router anywhere there is one.

Mark suggested the wiring is not up to it. So that should be the end (beyond a foolish attempt to pull through cable !).

That might make more sense, now!

Not really… though, you can still use it for phones, of course.

1 Like

That’s the answer I needed. I thought that as it could happily plug into my router now (copper wire from cabinet) it could plug into my router after the fibre is connected.

If the cable from the optical box to my router isn’t the same stuff as in the walls then it isn’t an option!

I don’t know for sure, but if they’re telephone plugs like this then no.

The ADSL routers normally have one of those on the end that plugs into the phone line and an RJ11 connector into the actual router. Some also have an RJ45 (Ethernet) connector for WAN and if so, I’d expect the link between the optical termination box to use that.

That’s how the sockets are yes.

The black cable is what’s in the walls. It’s never going to pull through!!

How many cores are in the white cable?

Not sure which cable is from outside.
The black one has four cores: white and orange connected.
The Black and green are not used

The white cable has three connected (blue, white/blue, orange)
And whatever else is bunched up at the top.

If the white cable has 8 cores then it is good for ethernet.

The black cable comes from outside, it will be replaced.

The white cable is the internal one. If it has eight cores then you could try using it as ethernet - you could get an ethernet cable kit like this

You can put on ethernet plugs and test them using that. If it works then you’re golden.

The downside is that you’ll fuck your current internet and phone service by testing it!

1 Like

Just checked. Didn’t take the camera.
6 cores.
The unused are green, white with green bands, white with orange bands

Maybe, maybe not. Depends exactly what cable it is. It’s likely connected to a bunch of phone sockets daisy chained together using just a pair. It’s not going to be straightforward to just repurpose it, even in the best case you’re likely to have to do some reconnecting and that is far from ideal.

Edit: 6 cores - forget it then.

1 Like

Won’t work then. And made even more redundant by DECT phones.

1 Like

What phone and internet service!
BT have cut us off today!
Sky should have connected us 30th. The bloke wouldn’t climb the pole as it’s leaning so they are back Saturday with a hoist.

I’m trying to figure this out before they return.

Basically, if I can’t repurpose the white cable that’s in my walls it is just plan A (drill my lounge).

Stick with plan A.

2 Likes

The end.

The existing network of in wall wires is dead to me.

Thanks for the help. I just presumed I could tag it on to the to the CPE somehow to take advantage of all the ports in various rooms.

Once this penny dropped (thanks to the above) I had a fleeting and fanciful notion I could pull through new cable using the old… but I can’t see a three level house having it all in lovely internal pipes to help that idea!).

Conduits.
Wires run in conduits
Water runs in pipes.

1 Like

Or in this case more likely sheathing.